Main Menu

Need advice on reproduction interior panels. barracuda

Started by Mr Cuda, February 14, 2022, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Cuda

You'll have to forgive me, but I haven't even been to a car show in 10 years.
All my information is from the first generation of reproduction door panels that came out.
They often didn't fit well, and the corners were rounded, not crisp square edges like factory.
  Have they gotten any better? And from which vender, unless they are all selling the same stuff.
  Just dashes is my other option.  I have the dreaded speaker hole cut into my otherwise very nice convertible rear seat panels.  All of the just dashes recovered parts ive seen had a very soft look to them, not heavily defined grain like original.  Is this still an accurate opinion?
I'm not working on my stuff yet , just getting the big ticket parts ordered.

anlauto

I was going to say Roseville Moparts sells the best quality, but then you mentioned it's a convertible. The only reproduction rear convertible panels available are vacuum formed by Dash Top/Palco in the USA currently on back order....I've had two sets ordered since last August  :pullinghair:

I've used a couple sets in the past, they are "okay"
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

That's my fear. Just  "OK"
For what level of car would they no longer be ok on?
Would my near perfect original be better with speakers in the holes?
And what about  repaired  by just dashes ?

anlauto

I used the Metro front panels and the Palco rear panels..In my opinion...they are 100 times better then panels restored by just dashes, but again, just my opinion...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

FE5CUDA

If you use  original door panels with the junk Palco or Dash top sells, the grain is completely different not to mention how bad they fit.  The absolute best option is to have original panels restored by Just Dashes so they all match and fit.  Pay up for rear panels, even if they have speaker holes in the rears, those can be fixed.  I personally seen the purple convertible that was restored by ANAL, front panels were original and the rears were Palco, it looked terrible and the white between the rear panel and door was only off by 20 shades.  For the guy that posted that the Just Dashes restored panels are terrible, plz post your experience with those restored panels, you've never sent them a dime.  Doing convertibles is very difficult because of the rear panel issue, restored panels by Just Dashes is far and away the best option, you have to have them do the door and rear panels together.

anlauto

Quote from: FE5CUDA on February 19, 2022, 09:38:20 AM
If you use  original door panels with the junk Palco or Dash top sells, the grain is completely different not to mention how bad they fit.  The absolute best option is to have original panels restored by Just Dashes so they all match and fit.  Pay up for rear panels, even if they have speaker holes in the rears, those can be fixed. I personally seen the purple convertible that was restored by ANAL, front panels were original and the rears were Palco, it looked terrible and the white between the rear panel and door was only off by 20 shades.  For the guy that posted that the Just Dashes restored panels are terrible, plz post your experience with those restored panels, you've never sent them a dime.  Doing convertibles is very difficult because of the rear panel issue, restored panels by Just Dashes is far and away the best option, you have to have them do the door and rear panels together.

Well that's funny...You might want to "fact check" your statements. You might notice that ErikR's purple convertible was not posted above....Reason being is the in that car indeed had Metro panels on the doors and ORIGINAL panels on the rear. Erik had driven a great distance and paid top dollar for a set of brown panels from the Mopar Ponderosa guys....After being delivered to me, I thought they were junk and sourced another set of brown ones here in Ontario, Here's pictures of the ones I supplied...
I dyed the brown panels white using Herb's paints, I strongly suggested that I dye the new front Metro panels with the same paint and at the same time, but the owner (Erik) refused my suggestion because he didn't want the new panels dyed in fear of it peeling in the future.

However, you are correct, I personally have never sent a dime to Just dashes, why ? because as I've clearly stated in my post, in my opinion, they look like crap. :alan2cents:

So I'm sorry you still find a need to address my opinions, but in the case of the purple Cuda convertible that you've "personally seen" you are 100% WRONG,  incorrect in your assumptions.  :console:

:drinkingbud:

Mr Cuda

I've been reading.  Opinions vary, but consensus is.... non of them are a factory replacement option.
Injection moulded seems like it would get the nod for fit.
Palco for texture.
Just dashes, factory part repaired, so fit is correct,  but my concern is agreed to, feel or texture is off.
Palco website wouldn't open fully for me so price of $1095. I assume for a pair.
I'm just going to have to go find a pair to look at.
Cuda challenger site had 7400 views on a thread about door panels,  and conclusion was...
All were bad.

71vert340

Oh my. I just looked to see what a set of incorrect reproduction rear convertible panels cost and had sticker shock. In 1983, I had a set of mint white Challenger convertible panels I was storing. Ben Snobar (RIP) came to my house and asked what I wanted for them. I threw out a ridiculous price for the time of I believe it was $300 for them. He made a quick phone call and came over and handed me $300. I couldn't believe it but with that phone call, he had already sold them for $150 more. Crazy then and now.
Terry W.

Mr Cuda

Hamm? 1983. You could buy a whole convertible for $3000.. A nice one.

71vert340

Quote from: Mr Cuda on February 20, 2022, 10:56:58 PM
Hamm? 1983. You could buy a whole convertible for $3000.. A nice one.

You are correct. I sold my 70 R/T convertible with a cracked 383 block and needing restoration  (hence, the white rear panels) for $3000 in 1984. I suffer from the "I should have kept that one" like many on here. The only one I've kept through all this is my 71 convertible.
Terry W.

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on February 19, 2022, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: FE5CUDA on February 19, 2022, 09:38:20 AM
If you use  original door panels with the junk Palco or Dash top sells, the grain is completely different not to mention how bad they fit.  The absolute best option is to have original panels restored by Just Dashes so they all match and fit.  Pay up for rear panels, even if they have speaker holes in the rears, those can be fixed. I personally seen the purple convertible that was restored by ANAL, front panels were original and the rears were Palco, it looked terrible and the white between the rear panel and door was only off by 20 shades.  For the guy that posted that the Just Dashes restored panels are terrible, plz post your experience with those restored panels, you've never sent them a dime.  Doing convertibles is very difficult because of the rear panel issue, restored panels by Just Dashes is far and away the best option, you have to have them do the door and rear panels together.

Well that's funny...You might want to "fact check" your statements. You might notice that ErikR's purple convertible was not posted above....Reason being is the in that car indeed had Metro panels on the doors and ORIGINAL panels on the rear. Erik had driven a great distance and paid top dollar for a set of brown panels from the Mopar Ponderosa guys....After being delivered to me, I thought they were junk and sourced another set of brown ones here in Ontario, Here's pictures of the ones I supplied...
I dyed the brown panels white using Herb's paints, I strongly suggested that I dye the new front Metro panels with the same paint and at the same time, but the owner (Erik) refused my suggestion because he didn't want the new panels dyed in fear of it peeling in the future.

However, you are correct, I personally have never sent a dime to Just dashes, why ? because as I've clearly stated in my post, in my opinion, they look like crap. :alan2cents:

So I'm sorry you still find a need to address my opinions, but in the case of the purple Cuda convertible that you've "personally seen" you are 100% WRONG,  incorrect in your assumptions.  :console:

:drinkingbud:

Huh? Fact check? Where did my post say anything about the picture you posted?  What I was stating, as a professional interior shop, the thinly covered Just Dashes vinyl over original panels are by far the best option when restoring a convertible.  What I said, I personally seen Erik's car when it was at Mike's shop for all the paint correction and wiring issues not to mention all the body panel metal issues, what I said was the reproduction rear panels looked awful compared to original.  Yes, the rear reproduction panels, that fit awful, compared to the grain and the color match to the door panel was terrible.  Since you do no interior work, why not, at least, take the panels to a real professional so they could have died the crappy rear reproductions to the fronts so they only looked "not so good"? :drunk:  In all my years of doing interiors, especially convertibles and specializing in MOPAR, re-covering originals is hands down the "best" option.  As an interior professional for 40 years, I refuse to do any interior on a MOPAR ebody with reproduction panels, however, you not having the experience, will chime in on your "opinion" and dog those that have the experience.  Good for you. :clapping:

anlauto

You clearly stated Erik's car has reproduction rear panels which it DOES NOT...that's not opinion, that's FACT. :drinkingbud:

Filthy Filbert

So, FE5...

I've got some panels that were on my car when I got it.  The rears from what I remember were in much better shape than the doors.  It's been so long since I put them away into storage that I can't remember now.   The rears were definitely black originally.    The fronts...I don't even know if they're mopar or not, as they're still on the doors.  (I'm about to pull them off to gut the doors in prep for sending the car to Craig down in Georgia.)    But the fronts appear to be white originally and poorly painted black and generally look like ass. 

If any of my panels are factory original, Just Dashes can "restore" them by laying a vinyl cover over the top of them?  it's not a paint or a dye?  I'm asking because the interior of my car was black when I got it, but it should be blue.   I intend to go back to mostly blue (might do white seats or blue/white custom seat covers) when the time comes.   

How's the cost compared to buying any of the reproduced stuff?  As someone who's not chasing a high end show car but just wants a nice looking driver, is Just Dashes honestly the best way to go?   I wouldn't have a clue if the grain in the panels was anything like factory or not and would probably need a pristine factory original sitting next to a reproduction piece to tell the difference.   ...maybe  (if they're THAT terrible, then yea, I'd probably be able to tell)

Mr Cuda

I'm glad we can have a healthy debate.  If we were closer, I'd say bring your cars and we can drink this out.
I'm going to be finishing a car with only a replacement  front bumper,  seat leather and rugs. Maybe top.
Naturally,  I want the nicest door panels available,  which is why I asked.
I called just dashes yesterday and today,  but have not heard back. I have no idea what the cost will be,looks like I will send in some less than perfect fronts to have redone with rears, so they all match.

anlauto

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on February 22, 2022, 12:00:01 PM
So, FE5...

I've got some panels that were on my car when I got it.  The rears from what I remember were in much better shape than the doors.  It's been so long since I put them away into storage that I can't remember now.   The rears were definitely black originally.    The fronts...I don't even know if they're mopar or not, as they're still on the doors.  (I'm about to pull them off to gut the doors in prep for sending the car to Craig down in Georgia.)    But the fronts appear to be white originally and poorly painted black and generally look like ass. 

If any of my panels are factory original, Just Dashes can "restore" them by laying a vinyl cover over the top of them?  it's not a paint or a dye?  I'm asking because the interior of my car was black when I got it, but it should be blue.   I intend to go back to mostly blue (might do white seats or blue/white custom seat covers) when the time comes.   

How's the cost compared to buying any of the reproduced stuff?  As someone who's not chasing a high end show car but just wants a nice looking driver, is Just Dashes honestly the best way to go?   I wouldn't have a clue if the grain in the panels was anything like factory or not and would probably need a pristine factory original sitting next to a reproduction piece to tell the difference.   ...maybe  (if they're THAT terrible, then yea, I'd probably be able to tell)

Yours being a hardtop, you can still find decent used panels (blue obviously a little harder) or you can find a set of the injection molded Metro panels in blue..The problem come in with convertible rear panels.. :headbang: