Main Menu

New ACC Carpet Install - Mass Backing??? Yes or No

Started by DeathProofCuda, July 08, 2020, 12:19:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DeathProofCuda

Would like the hear folk's thoughts on whether or not to order my new ACC carpet with or without the mass backing option.  As I understand it, the mass backing carpets generally hold their molded contours better, so can be easier to install in that regard, but can also be a PITA to fit under the sill plates.

Mass backing is also supposed to provide additional sound deadening (wait don't we buy the car with a big block and dual exhaust because it is noisy??) and provides insulation against heat.

What's your experience and which would you recommend?  Thanks

73_Cuda_4_Me

I went with ACC with mass backing this spring... to replace carpeting without mass backing that I had installed back in 2005, which had sun-faded on the tunnel to the point it looked like chocolate...

It was a little more difficult to work with, and you have to make sure you get the front all the way forward (expect to do quite a bit of trimming at firewall to do that), but I did not have much trouble, even at the sills.

Patience and small trims at a time took me 2 days to install, find all the holes for seat belts and seats, slit them, and get everything back together.

Very happy with the choice to go with the mass-backed ACC...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Burdar

Are you putting down any other type of sound deadening and heat barrier?

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Burdar on July 08, 2020, 01:10:14 PM
Are you putting down any other type of sound deadening and heat barrier?

No, not planning to.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Oh, and I installed it over the top of sound deadener/insulation mat...

BS23H3B

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on July 08, 2020, 01:25:21 PM
Oh, and I installed it over the top of sound deadener/insulation mat...

@73_Cuda_4_Me, what was your reasoning for going with the mass backing if you already had sound deadener in place?  Since you have experience installing carpet both with and without mass backing, do you think that the mass backed carpet fits any better, due to the stiffness of the backing?

73_Cuda_4_Me

The sound deadener was mostly for heat (I used duct insulation with foil cover).

The mass backing is for noise cruising on expressway. It does add a little more heat resistance, though...

I would say the mass-backed is a little more difficult to install over non-mass backed, as it's harder to trim, especially until you get it to situate correctly to the formed pockets and foot-wells...

BS23H3B

JH27N0B

I used mass backed ACC a few years back on my Challenger.  It fit like a glove but the trimming and cutting was a bear.  If I did it again I'd invest in a better pair of scissors or better yet a small shears. And I made the mistake of not wearing gloves and tore and blistered my hands up, but that healed quickly and the results were worth it.
I didn't use any additional insulator or sound deadening on the floorboards, I thought that was one of the benefits of mass backed that you can skip that?

73_Cuda_4_Me

I got the cut pile Essex style with mass-backing, and I used a titanium bladed utility knife for the trimming... it went a lot better than the original loop style non-mass backed that I got previously!

You probably could skip insulation/sound deadener with the mass backing, but I had done 1/2 the car interior (back seat and trunk) a year or two ago, so I was able to use up the rest of the insulation...

:ohyeah:

BS23H3B

Katfish

If your not going resto, Essex is much nicer than the cut pile carpet.

RUNCHARGER

The carpet will most likely fade if you drive it in the sun much. I used to sell it to those who wanted it but for me it makes sense to insulate the floorboard and use the regular carpet overtop.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

It sounds like some people care more about the ease of installation versus the benefits of the better backed carpet, noise, heat/cold etc... You probably could find rubber mats ...
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Daveh

I just installed the ACC carpet with the backing and also installed Dynamat.  It fit well but there was a bit of trimming and I was worried with every cut that it would be too much.  So cut small pieces at a time and it will be fine.  I liked the carpet very soft and easy to cut compared to the old stuff.

benlavigne

One more vote for mass backing, feels more comfy, had a hard time trimming for auto floor shifter, ended up cutting too much...
A tip for holes for seat, etc.. I poke them from underneath, and use a soldering iron to make a nice hole that will not fray...
Ben

Racer57

When I got my carpet, it looked like they put the padding on without paying any attention as to where it should be. Used a razor and cut it all off, then glued it to the floor pan in the correct places.