Main Menu

Non-Ralleye Dash Tach Install

Started by Barracudamuscle, January 20, 2020, 07:58:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Barracudamuscle

Hello,

My 73 has a non ralleye dash with the blank off plate for the clock. I was looking at year one and they sell a tach to replace the blank off plate. Is this easy to implement?

Currently I have a MSD 8388 distributor, replaced the engine harness with factory, I have a factory replacement non ralleye harness for the dash to install, not sure if it will tie into a tach.

I kicked around the idea of converting to a ralleye gauge but it seems like a major undertaking. I just received a replacement steel pad from year one, I could return the non ralleye harness but I believe I'd have to find a frame and ralleye gauges and that looks like it'd be $2-3k just for the additional components so that's why I was considering a tach in the non ralleye.

Dad said he wanted the ralleye when he bought it but couldn't afford it so opted for the non ralleye option. I'd love to switch to it and now a good time being I'm replacing the dash harness, pad, but I think it's just too hard/expensive to go that route.

jordan

I looked at doing that too.  I decided that an oil pressure gauge is more beneficial in that place.  I ended up strapping a tach on the column.  It is easier to read on a quick glance and I can always asses the oil pressure. Win win for me.   
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Dakota

:bradsthumb:I have a non-Rallye dash and added the tach in the blank location.  It's definitely a bit on the small side but I'm ok with it.  From the dash, it has a pretty simple one wire hook up to the bulkhead connector using location #20.   I haven't finished the engine compartment connections to it yet but it doesn't look too bad. 

Katfish

Is there any way to switch positions of those gauges?
Tach would be much more useful right next to the speedo.
Seems too far away on the end.
Clock or oil gauge makes sense out there since you only occasionally check it.

worthywads

There's always a way, but I don't see it being worth it, it's really not much of a gain to move it over a few slots.  If you are really serious about a tach then don't put it in the dash.

CudaMoparRay

Even a big giant one like this was still too far to be seriously practical.
Especially, if paying attention to the road ahead while racing.
It even had a shift light in it but still not as good as in front of you or next to speedometer at least.
Finally just did the third picture style.

Barracudamuscle

All great info and suggestions. I'm not looking to really be racing my car, just figured while I had the dash out, replacing the wire harness.

I just figured I'd put something in place of the blank off plate. I'll probably go the route of just putting the tech in the place of the plate and call it ok.

JS29

I am with  cudamoparray! I put one in my barracuda, It isn't vary handy. To far away, When I am wanting to know my RPM I am watching the road as well.  :stayinlane:

73_Cuda_4_Me

I have 2" tach mounted to panel light bar just left of the speedo, and installed oil pressure gauge in blank spot on dash panel the right.

I have a column shift automatic, so steering column mount was out of the question...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B