Main Menu

Opinions on ABS core dashpads

Started by Deezel, May 05, 2023, 07:45:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Deezel

For those of you that have bought and are using the ABS core dashpads, are you having any issues with them?

I don't want to buy an ABS core only to be replacing it in a few years because of issues that could have been avoided by spending more now and getting a steel core. Getting a steel core is going to cost double of what the ABS is, which is why I'm considering one.

Thanks
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

JS29

71GranCoupe

Quote from: JS29 on May 05, 2023, 10:32:37 AM
In my opinion  :stop:

I second the above opinion!

I have not heard any long-term praise for them. The heat will eventually warp the core.

Deezel

That's kinda what I thought. Steel core it is. Thanks!

Any recommendations on who would be the best for having a steel core pad done? I'm in Canada if that makes any difference.
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

70 Challenger Lover

I'm needing one too but Just Dashes gets so much money for one that it's practically cost prohibitive. And I've heard that they still aren't perfect, just nice.

We need someone else to enter the market and help bring prices down through healthy competition.

dodj

It's been a while since I bought my dash pad but I got mine from Roseville. If they still sell them, I would recommend them. Great customer service. They are also a site sponsor so give them a look.

As to the original question. I have not heard of anybody being completely happy with the ABS core dash pad.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Roseville is no longer dealing with the dash pads  :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

so does that mean steel cores have gone up in value?  ;)  I've got one taking up space in the corner of the garage!

70 Challenger Lover

Lately, I have seen people selling them at inflated prices. Used to be they were worth around $50. I think $150 is more like it now.

Deezel

These are the places I've found so far that do steel core dash pads.
Just Dashes
Dash Pad Pros
Year One
possibly ABC Moparts

Prices I'm seeing so far range from $1095 - $1699 with ABC being the lowest and Dash Pad Pros being the highest. I still need to get a quote from Just Dashes. I am aware that some of them require my core, which is no problem.

Are there any I'm missing and, the most important question, who provides the BEST quality/service?
Lonnie
1973 'cuda

ignition1

I'm also in the process of getting my dash pad re-done. Just Dash quoted $2000 starting and adding in the A/C vent cutouts with my supplied steel core dash along with a 9 month wait. For me round trip shipping would be $6-800. So... $3k+ for a dash pad :/ I'm not excited to jump on this project.

Dash Pad Pros was another I looked into which was around the $1700 range including the $400 steel core deposit, 2 month wait according to their website.

I use ABS cores for first Gen Camaro dash pads and they are ok, decent quality, $6-800, never excellent but I'm ok with that. I would expect to change it out after a few years.

MoparLeo

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

70vert

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 06, 2023, 01:20:52 PM
Lately, I have seen people selling them at inflated prices. Used to be they were worth around $50. I think $150 is more like it now.

Yeah, Just Dashes used to offer $50 for a core and provide a box & shipping. That was several years ago, may give them a call. Wouldn't mind getting it out of the way  ;)

anlauto

Quote from: Deezel on May 06, 2023, 01:26:23 PM
These are the places I've found so far that do steel core dash pads.
Just Dashes
Dash Pad Pros
Year One
possibly ABC Moparts

Other than Just dashes which recovers your old cracked pad, I think you'll find the others are all manufactured by the same company in ElPaso Texas. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration