Main Menu

options for adhesive on burlap during reupholstery?

Started by Dakota, December 31, 2018, 12:12:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm getting ready to put new covers on my seats.    On the YouTube video that Legendary published for doing the rear seat, there's a rectangular filler piece that has to be made by folding the long edges of the burlap over pieces of listing wire.  Before folding, a spray-on adhesive is applied to the burlap with a gun.   It looks to be the same kind of adhesive that's used on various car shows I've watched that include installing headliners and vinyl tops.   Is there an adhesive from a spray can that will work OK for burlap or do I need something more exotic?   I'd like to avoid buying any more "single use" tools like the glue spray gun. 

cudaize

I used 3M general trim adhesive 8088 from a spray can, it seemed to hold pretty well even with the spring tension after hog ringed.  Hopefully you have the originals so that you can copy the dimensions.  Depending on your application getting these dimensions pretty close is critical to having the final shape be correct.  I was doing the rear seat for a 71 cuda convertible and the upper portion is supposed to have a curve to it and this burlap piece is the key to getting that given that the rest of your frame is not bent.

Prior to doing my seats I watched most if not all of the Legendary videos, as they did not have one for my specific seats so I took some key points from several of them.  The only major thing I did different was that my original burlap over the springs had thin listing wires through the whole length every inch or so.  I added these listing wires to my burlap mainly because I am doing a near OE level resto and in the convertible there is no cardboard divider to the trunk so a portion of the burlap is seen in the trunk.  It's obvious that these wires do add some stability, I'm not sure if it's needed or not.

As an added note I think knowing how much cotton batting to use just comes from experience.  I had the cover 3/4 of the way on and I realized that I had too much so I pulled it off and took a layer or two out.  After I had the cover on there were a couple spots near the corners that I was not completely happy with so I tore some cotton off and shoved it up under the muslin from the back.

This is definitely a procedure that requires patience and a if you have a helper available that can be beneficial as well.

Mike Afflerbach

70 Challenger Lover

I have used the 3m stuff in spray cans for lots of smaller jobs and it works really well. It comes in different strengths. My local auto parts store has it on the shelf so it's readily available. The high strength stuff is incredibly strong. Since it all gets covered eventually, it wouldn't really matter how long it holds up. Just needs to stay put until the cover is stretched on.

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Claudia

:alan2cents: I would agree that probably any spray adhesive should be okay to get the job done . . . I believe that I used an Elmer's spray adhesive on mine and I'm sure that 3M's is good as well.  I did my seats a little different based on everything that I researched and everyone's opinions that I had spoken with . . . I wrapped my burlap / listing wires in canvas and sewed / hog ringed that to my seat springs.  Next the foam which I also hog ringed to the springs and then installed the actual seat covers.