Main Menu

Paint steering wheel?

Started by nsmall, June 13, 2017, 11:59:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I thought you were talking about imperfections in the painting process. That part of it looks great. The issue is the scratches in the plastic panels. The scratches look deep. The plastic is raised on either side of the scratch. That's why they are so visible. In this situation, you could lightly sand them just to smooth out the scratch. That would make them less visible. That's what I had to do with one of my kick panels. When I was done, the scratches basically disappeared. It up yo you though. It looks like the scratches are at the bottom of the door panel. They won't be that noticeable.

nsmall

@Burdar

Any idea if 1973 barracudas had a lock out plate towards the end of the steering column?  Just watched Cody's videos on this site and and I dont have that part.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Only 1970 got the lock out tube arm if you were a floor shift column.  1971 and up do not have the lock out tube arm on the floor shift columns.

nsmall

Thanks Cody.  Really appreciate the help.

I bought this piece of foam to keep dust and heat out of the column.  Should I just tuck it up in there?  I can tuck it more, I just started it to show you.

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Dust boot goes above the lower bearing.

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

Sorry so I'm not getting it.

Should I slide the plastic piece out that I'm pointing to and then put the Dust boot in the lower steering column area and then put the plastic piece back in?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Yes, the dust boot goes inside the column above the bearing.  But since you are doing a later column there might be some small difference that I'm not aware of yet.  I've not a seen a dust boot like that either.  But it should work perfectly.

Burdar

Yes, shove the foam in and then put the plastic back on.