Main Menu

Pistol Grip

Started by Rbob, November 06, 2020, 12:37:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

My 70 Challenger T/A came with wood pistol grips, they are not in good shape now, couple pieces missing and abused.

I would like to send them to someone for duplication but not sure of the wood or stain used. 

anlauto

You know they're NOT factory, but I'm sure there was a guy around making them out of all types of wood....should be able to Google him :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Here's one of the guys doing it.... http://idlehandswoodwork.com/index.html  I'm sure there's others...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dakota

There was a guy on c-c.com that made wood grips (Rob Roy?).  I bought one about 5 years ago.  They're very nicely done.  Not sure if he's still in business.   

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=89241.msg1140693#msg1140693

This isn't the best picture, but It's what I have handy.  If you need more pics, just ask. 

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on November 06, 2020, 01:29:11 PM
Here's one of the guys doing it.... http://idlehandswoodwork.com/index.html  I'm sure there's others...

Damn, that guy makes some beautiful grips.. :woohoo:

Rbob

Quote from: anlauto on November 06, 2020, 01:13:13 PM
You know they're NOT factory, but I'm sure there was a guy around making them out of all types of wood....should be able to Google him :thinking:

I am pretty sure they are Factory, I am the 3rd owner and bought it in 1977.  Car was in great shape when I got it and have no reason to believe somebody changed it out, build date April  14 1970.  I may have read / or heard (soo long ago) that they ran out of wood ones really fast and went plastic, I have no proof though.

Funny though I used to get a lot of comments about the wood grips.

i have been communicating with Nick at Idlehands.

Top pic:

anlauto

Pretty certain Chrysler NEVER made them out of real wood....EVER  :alan2cents:

Rbob

You are probably right, still a mystery for me.

Brads70

Quote from: Dakota on November 06, 2020, 01:38:01 PM
There was a guy on c-c.com that made wood grips (Rob Roy?).  I bought one about 5 years ago.  They're very nicely done.  Not sure if he's still in business.   

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=89241.msg1140693#msg1140693

This isn't the best picture, but It's what I have handy.  If you need more pics, just ask.

I bought a few off him, Nice stuff!  :twothumbsup:

anlauto

I thought I had bought this one from a guy on KiJiJi, but now I'm wondering if it was CC.com  :thinking:

I believe this one was tiger wood or something like that...a lot more robust than the plastic ones

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on November 06, 2020, 06:44:02 PM
I thought I had bought this one from a guy on KiJiJi, but now I'm wondering if it was CC.com  :thinking:

I believe this one was tiger wood or something like that...a lot more robust than the plastic ones

Sure looks like Rob's? work.

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on November 06, 2020, 06:52:39 PM
Quote from: anlauto on November 06, 2020, 06:44:02 PM

Sure looks like Rob's? work.

YEA...that is the guy, I didn't realize he was from Canada....I did buy it off of KiJiJi then  :canada:

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on November 06, 2020, 04:47:51 PM
Pretty certain Chrysler NEVER made them out of real wood for production ....EVER  :alan2cents:

:iagree:

6bblgt

Quote from: Rbob on November 06, 2020, 04:41:44 PM
...... build date Jan 14 1970.  ......

if I'm following this correctly:
your Challenger T/A (414-SPD) has a "Scheduled Production Date" of Tuesday April 14, 1970 ***** about 250 calendar days into (pistol grip &) 1970 production