Main Menu

Rear seat help

Started by nsmall, December 28, 2017, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I installed the rear bench seat first because it made sense regarding the seat belt location.

Well the back rest will Not go down as far as I would like. Do I have to install the back first?  If so, how do I get the bench seat in with the seat belts already installed?

Thanks

Brads70

Yes the upright back seat installs first. To install the bottom rear seat I use my knees if necessary to push it back so it catches the hooks. As for the seat belts just fish them up before you push the seat back to lock it in place. 

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: Back in first and secure it, hold belts while shoving bottom in.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Depending on the year the back of the seat may have bend over lock tabs or screws holding the back in place , you can use string or bungees to pull the belts through once the bottom is in place , I extend the belts as far as possible so they reach as far out as possible befoe installing the bottom of the seat

nsmall

Well I tried the rear back first and it's still off.   I cant seem to get the rear back down far enough.  Any suggestions?

I'm assuming this gap is Not normal?  I'm assuming there should be no obvious gap?

Cuda Cody

@nsmall  Your very first photo looks like the rear top section of the back seat is to high.  The bottom two long D loops / hooks on that seat frame go in front of the slot.  I've made the mistake before so that's why I bring it up.  It looks like they will go inside the brackets, but they go on the outside and the bolt screws to the bracket.  If by chance you have them inside the bracket in will stop the top rear section from going down far enough.  When installed correctly the top of the back seat will be very close to flush with the rear package tray.

Cuda Cody

Also, nice job on making great progress on your car.  You are an inspiration to us all.   :clapping:

nsmall

Thanks!!!!!! That was exactly the problem I was having and I couldn't figure it out but now it fits way better.   :handshake:

I'm going to have to wait to finish this up there as I want to restore my seatbelts as they're not good enough.  Thanks again. 

Spikedog08

Sometimes the bottom part will need a little persuasion to get it in there correctly.   I also will use my knees if needed . . .

:twothumbsup:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

1 Wild R/T

Even when the seat is fully down & back sometimes there are gaps... It should be minimal but if the upholsterer pulls the material to tight & doesn't bulk up the padding you'll have gaps... I've seen guys with the shiny reflective insulation in that area which makes the issue really apparent.. Mine fits pretty good but I ran a strip of black carpet under the seam so it doesn't draw attention....

nsmall

The rear seats look great.  Thanks

nsmall

@Spikedog08 @RUNCHARGER @1Wildr/t @Chryco Psycho

Can one of you give me a little insight as all I have left to install are the front seat belts and the front seats.

So based on what I already have installed should I install the seatbelts next for the front and then the front seats?

Then next I would do the kick panels followed by the door sill plates.  Does that sound good?

I'm trying to avoid doing things twice as that drives me mad.

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

For sure , far easier to locate the sealbelts now with the seats out , I would also do the kick panels & rocker plates before installing the seats .
I use an awl to locate the holes for the belts & seats cut an X so the studs or bolts go through

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: Seat belts, kick panels, seats and then the sill plates so they don't get scratched. Car is looking great!
Sheldon