Main Menu

Recovering original back seat

Started by b5cuda, April 09, 2024, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hey everyone, getting ready to recover my back seat. Currently the layers are seat cover, foam, and mesh over the springs. Foam looks to be at least 1" thick originally but it's hard to tell. Do I have the layers right, and is there a recommended thickness to the foam? Should the seat back have cotton instead of foam? I'm not concerned with originality as the car is a restomod. Thanks in advance!

Dakota

Bought a rear seat kit from Legendary Interiors back when they actually had inventory.  It came with cotton for the back bottom.  Could not get it to look right.  Ended up taking it to a local upholstery shop where they used foam.  It was the only part of the front or back seats we (my wife and I) couldn't do. 

b5cuda

Thanks Dakota, appreciate the reply! It sounds like foam with a layer of cotton cloth is the way to go.

tparker

I don't recall the details for  mine, but I bought the legendary kit as well. Mine look good enough for me, no issues I can tell but maybe "experts" might notice issues. I seem to remember cotton batting and foam. Legendary has a video of redoing the seats. I used those as  guides and I think the show how it goes together if I recall correctly. I watched dozens of videos for reupholstering and it seems almost every one uses foam. As for the size, I  recall some  thick foam,  maybe 1 1/2 -2  inches. I still have the instructions. I'll see if it has the pieces listed or other useful info

b5cuda

Thanks - that's helpful! I'm going to try the burlap, foam, and cotton under the cover. Saw instructions for rear seats on the Legendary website but didn't see a measure for the foam. Original looks like 1.5" thick where it isn't all smashed.