Main Menu

Restoring a steering wheel

Started by blown motor, February 23, 2022, 07:55:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I bought this steering wheel for the truck. It's not as good as I was expecting. How do I restore it so it doesn't show the wear? Paint it? Dye it?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Don't think much could be done with the worn out areas, but a good cleaning and a coat of SEM Landau black would freshening it up while you look for one in better shape...has to be a pretty common steering wheel ? :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

If I spray it with landau black then will I have to spray the rest of the dash to match? It would really freshen up the interior but I'm not real keen on removing the dash. Glove box door would be easy but the rest not so much. I wonder if I could mask everything except what I would want to spray and do it without removing it.

blown motor

Another thought here, I had just wiped down the dash with Armorall wipes to spruce it up a little. Would the Armorall effect the paint adhering to the vinyl? I think I'd likely have to rub it down with grease and wax remover.

YYZ

It may be worth trying to wet sand the outer rim of the wheel, if for no other reason than to blend in the worn spots.

Lee Valley has a selection of the micro-mesh sanding pads that go up to 12,000 grit

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/supplies/sanding/discs-and-pads/62127-micro-mesh-pen-sanding-pads

I use these for guitar touchups and refinishing

jimynick

"If I spray it with landau black then will I have to spray the rest of the dash to match?" You weren't figuring to spray the steering wheel while it was on, did you Murray? Yikes! I'll come over and pull it for you if that's the issue.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Quote from: jimynick on February 23, 2022, 07:53:34 PM
"If I spray it with landau black then will I have to spray the rest of the dash to match?" You weren't figuring to spray the steering wheel while it was on, did you Murray? Yikes! I'll come over and pull it for you if that's the issue.  :cheers:

@jimynick Come over for a beer or the best rye you've ever had. If we get to the steering wheel that's a bonus.

jimynick

"If we get to the steering wheel that's a bonus."  I like the way you think Murray, I do!  :cheers:

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on February 23, 2022, 08:27:13 AM
Don't think much could be done with the worn out areas, but a good cleaning and a coat of SEM Landau black would freshening it up while you look for one in better shape...has to be a pretty common steering wheel ? :clueless:

Should I use adhesion promoter before the Landeau black?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

AND, a flex agent since it's going on a somewhat squishy surface.  :alan2cents: