Main Menu

Restoring a steering wheel

Started by dave73, January 07, 2018, 08:44:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

So say you have an old wheel and the foam or wood grip is beyond restore. Can you buy replacement foam/wood to replace the grip?  On a lot of newer style wheels looks like it's 2 halves that sandwich together.

dave73

Anyone? I'm looking at a tuff wheel that is pretty inexpensive but the grip is shot...

Cuda Cody

Wish I could help, but I got nothing.   :sorry:

ToxicWolf

Unfortunately the company that did mine seems to be out of business now.  :thinking:

dave73

Hmm I'll talk to a local upholstery shop and see if they could clean up the grip area and wrap it in leather. Thinking of going this route because I'd like the spokes on the wheel to be black so I'm going to get it powdercoated or painted.

If it's not worth the money/effort, might just go with the PG Classics wheel and have the center painted

mopar jack

check cuda-challengers.com for member, plumbbeeper. He was doing restorations on mopar steering wheels 

dave73

I kind of want to do it myself? Anyone have any idea how to restore the foam grip area if it is brittle and breaking away?

ToxicWolf

filmsurgeon

Quote from: ToxicWolf on January 12, 2018, 09:16:17 AM
http://www.mcbrestorations.com/c-1394870-interior-steering-wheel.html

Might check with these guys

They did my original Tuff Wheel several years back.  Had it leather-wrapped with baseball stitching.  They also powder coated the spokes.  Not how they were originally, but really beautiful work.

RUNCHARGER

That looks really good, I bet it feels nice as well.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Doug Lepack / the steering wheel guy is another good source