Main Menu

Restoring A/C Hoses/Lines, Compressor, etc

Started by erik70rt, May 16, 2017, 11:55:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Can anyone recommend a place to restore the A/C components?  Can the old compressors be converted to run 134?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Cuda Cody

:notsure:  I'm not sure where to have them restored.  @anlauto  has done a few of them... maybe he can share how he does them.  :fingerscrossed:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JonH

yes your old compressor can be converted to r134

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JonH on May 16, 2017, 06:40:46 PM
yes your old compressor can be converted to r134

Well.... You can clean out all the old ester oil & replace the seals.... But... The old carbon ceramic shaft seals don't do a very good job of sealing R134.... The R134 molecule is about half the size of an R12 molecule.... Which is why to actually keep the R134 in the system you need to replace the original reinforced rubber hoses with barrier hose, the carbon ceramic seals need to be replaced with a viton seal... Unfortunately the design of seal in the Chrysler RV-2 compressor isn't serviced with a Viton replacement.......  Yes people do just use the standard carbon ceramic seal & regular reinforced rubber hoses... And it will work.... But it will start bleeding R134 as soon as it is filled... If you don't mind having to charge it at least once a year you'll be fine....

Cuda Cody

:welcome: @JonH   Thanks for joining us and posting.   :banana:   and thanks 1 Wild RT for explaining the details about it.  There's been many summer days that I've wished I had AC.

erik70rt

Thanks for the replies.  How easy is it to get R12 anymore?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: erik70rt on May 17, 2017, 10:19:45 AM

Check your local Craigslist....  Typically $25-30 a can & you'll need at least 5 cans...

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 17, 2017, 10:56:01 AM

Check your local Craigslist....  Typically $25-30 a can & you'll need at least 5 cans...

As Wild says, it is out there, but at nearing $150+ for 5 cans of R12, why? If me, buy a 25 LB jug of 134A before it climbs much more and then convert your system to the newer refrigerant. Yes, you may have to recharge once a year, but nothing you can't handle, and many refills for less than the outlay of the R12.

I have converted some of my rides, but not all of them. I happened to pick up 3 jugs (R12) from Costco right before it was dropped from being sold and manufactured or I would have changed all of mine.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 71GranCoupe on May 17, 2017, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 17, 2017, 10:56:01 AM

As Wild says, it is out there, but at nearing $150+ for 5 cans of R12, why? If me, buy a 25 LB jug of 134A before it climbs much more and then convert your system to the newer refrigerant. Yes, you may have to recharge once a year, but nothing you can't handle, and many refills for less than the outlay of the R12.

I have converted some of my rides, but not all of them. I happened to pick up 3 jugs (R12) from Costco right before it was dropped from being sold and manufactured or I would have changed all of mine.  :alan2cents:

Yup.... I replaced my RV-2 with a Sanden, new barrier type hoses, flushed the condenser & evaporator & I've had R134 ever since.... I have three 30 Lb cylinders of R134 stock piled cause I plan to have cold air till I can't drive anymore...  When I picked them up I paid $70 per 30 Lb cylinder...

71GranCoupe

Yup.... I replaced my RV-2 with a Sanden, new barrier type hoses, flushed the condenser & evaporator & I've had R134 ever since.... I have three 30 Lb cylinders of R134 stock piled cause I plan to have cold air till I can't drive anymore...  When I picked them up I paid $70 per 30 Lb cylinder...

Last fall 134A was selling for $65/jug. It is now at 120/130 and rumors are it is next to be on the list of banned refrigerants, so,  now may be the time to stock up. I don't know for certain, but that is about the same way things went with R12.  New replacements are never as efficient as what they are replacing.