Main Menu

Restoring Seat Belts

Started by ksierens, February 08, 2018, 05:09:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

Has anyone restored their seat belts?  Any tips?
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

JH27N0B

Restored your own seat belts, or had them restored?
I sent mine to Bill Edwards.Nice guy, and he did a great job with quick turnaround and reasonable price.
http://allmoparseatbelts.com/
I've heard of people soaking their belts in some sort of solution to clean the mold out of the web with good results, I think a diluted bleach solution but don't want to say that for certain and get blamed if someone does that and bleaches out the color in their web!
Then use some fine steel wool or bronze wool on the plated hardware if it's just got very light surface rust or discoloration.
Beyond that, best just to send to Bill!

Plumcrazzy

I used dish washing solution (warm water/Dawn) and soaked the fabric section only overnight. Next, scrubbed gently with new soapy water. Rinse--rinse-rinse. Hang and let air dry. Make sure they are dry. Use a good quality fabric dye and follow dye instructions. Let dry thoroughly. Wipe with clean, preferably white cloths to remove any dye residue.

usraptor

I soaked my black, dirty and very stiff belts in Woolite overnight.  Before soaking I used a fairly stiff brush on the webbing to loosen up any embedded dirt.  Rinse, second soaking in Woolite, and rinse, rinse, rinse. Hung them up to air dry.  Used SEM Black Landau paint to restore the buckle mechanisms.  Came out like new.  If you want new OEM type white labels, ECS sells then.

nsmall

For the plastic

SEM soap
SEM plastic adhesive
SEM black landau

Solarguy

I soaked mine in RIT dye from the grocery store.  Came out real nice and had no issues with dye coming off on clothing.

anlauto

Another vote for Bill Edwards  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Bill does good work and the price is very reasonable.   @70rm27  is Bill Edwards.   :twothumbsup:

pink aar

What's the average price of his work? Thanks

ksierens

I have already sent an email to him, I will let you know after I get a reply.

I know PG Classics has a new set for $550, though I have already bought the floor retractor covers for $100 since I thought I was going to restore my belts, and I still might, just checking for options at this point.

ksierens

Just heard back, $499 plus $150 core charge.

Cuda Cody

The cool thing about @70rm27  belts is they have the correct date codes sewn in them.   :woohoo:

ksierens

Cody, @70rm27?

Cuda Cody

That's Bill Edwards user name on this site.   :bigthumb:  He's not online much, but he gets his messages. 

Quote from: ksierens on February 09, 2018, 09:47:45 AM
Cody, @70rm27?

ksierens

Sounds good, too bad though, just when I thought I could save a little money ...