Main Menu

Rim Blow Center Cap in Blue

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 11, 2020, 05:12:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I've always wanted a Rim Blow wheel on my car and finally found a nice one to restore at a pretty good price. The center cap it came with is blue. I thought they were always black. Is this a reproduction? I don't see any part numbers on it but it doesn't look new either.

anlauto

No they originally came in several colours :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Looks like a nice used original to me, obvious by the underside picture of cap.
That is a factory color...they had many colors that match the interior.
As long as the plastic plated finish isn't blistered you should be good to go.

1 Wild R/T

I've had Black, Green, Blue, Tan & Red....

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 11, 2020, 05:26:55 PM
I've had Black, Green, Blue, Tan & Red....

I bet red looks amazing in an all red interior!

JS29

It is my understanding that if the car had a standard dash cluster it came with a black column and wheel padding. A rallye cluster equipped car would have interior color on the column, steering wheel, and horn pad.  :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JS29 on May 12, 2020, 07:05:12 AM
It is my understanding that if the car had a standard dash cluster it came with a black column and wheel padding. A rallye cluster equipped car would have interior color on the column, steering wheel, and horn pad.  :alan2cents:

Interesting. How about Barracuda models? Were all Plymouth's always black caps then?

mccannix

Plymouth caps were colored as well, same as Challenger, at least the fish caps were.

JS29

@70Challengerlover Any E-Body with a rallye cluster would be interior color. A barracuda would have the fish on it with a rim blow. The one in the picture would have came from a challenger with a rallye cluster and blue interior.  So to my understanding, A standard cluster E-body or a black interior rallye cluster equipped E-Body would be black. :alan2cents:

schlett7nu1

Looks original. Locator pin appears broken off. Common problem. One can easily remove the rubber pad and replace it with one with a different color.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JS29 on May 12, 2020, 07:05:12 AM

That's true of the paint on the column, not the horn pad...

schlett7nu1

Not true. Easy to remove and replace the horn pad. I've done half a dozen. It is retained over a lip in a groove.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: schlett7nu1 on May 12, 2020, 09:55:41 AM
Not true. Easy to remove and replace the horn pad. I've done half a dozen. It is retained over a lip in a groove.

???????? Who questioned removing the pad from the cap???

70 Challenger Lover

It was actually the wheel I wanted to restore for my Barracuda ragtop. Being it has a brown and tan interior, I know now I'd like the color coded cap. That would look killer.

The blue center cap is cool looking so I put it on eBay to see if anyone needed it. A buyer in Finland just bought it. After shipping and eBay fees, I made all my purchase price back and essentially got my rim blow wheel for free.

JS29