Main Menu

S79 Horn Ring

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, February 27, 2022, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I recently found one of these wheels after searching for years. I'm curious to know if they are specific to 1970 only, Challenger only or Cuda as well and if they are only on wood grain wheels and not black.

Thanks

198D13

They are 1970 Challenger only. Could come on both wood grain and also a Deputy Challenger. That said, if you look in your 1970 or 1970-1971 parts book, in the 23 Section(Body), you will see an interior view of the inside of a Barracuda convertible, taken from above the car, with the top down. That picture shows a wood grain steering wheel with horn ring. But ALL Chrysler information shows S79 to be 1970 only Challenger.

70 Challenger Lover

Thanks for the details. Perhaps they offered it on the Plymouths but being so rare, they just aren't seen. I almost never see them even on challengers. I was hoping to add this to my 71 Barracuda but now it seems it would be out of place on a 71 for sure.

Luckily, I have a 70 Challenger and since I prefer the look of the black wheel over wood, it would work and look great with the orange interior.

198D13

Is the black wheel smooth black or textured black? Deputy Challengers only had black or black/white interiors, so the horn pad on a black steering wheel would only be black. I have seven S79 steering wheels.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: 198D13 on February 27, 2022, 07:13:30 AM
Is the black wheel smooth black or textured black? Deputy Challengers only had black or black/white interiors, so the horn pad on a black steering wheel would only be black. I have seven S79 steering wheels.

It's the textured black wheel I like best. I have a couple nice ones. Never cared for the look of fake wood. I have always liked the look of the partial horn ring and they are so hard to find that I had to grab it before someone else did. No matter what I do, it won't be authentic to the car. I just didn't want it to stick out like a sore thumb. The 72-74 two spoke e body wheel on a 70 is a good example in my mind of something that just looks terribly out of place at first glance.

So you have seven? Wow! I've heard people are willing to pay huge money for those wheels. Like $1000 or more. Believable too when you see nice rim blow wheels bringing twice that amount now. I wouldn't hold onto them forever. One day, they might reproduce them or you'll get hit by a bus and your family will throw them all in the dumpster.

E74cuda

Quote from: 198D13 on February 27, 2022, 06:54:07 AM
They are 1970 Challenger only. Could come on both wood grain and also a Deputy Challenger. That said, if you look in your 1970 or 1970-1971 parts book, in the 23 Section(Body), you will see an interior view of the inside of a Barracuda convertible, taken from above the car, with the top down. That picture shows a wood grain steering wheel with horn ring. But ALL Chrysler information shows S79 to be 1970 only Challenger.

Also as far as I know they were only available early in the year.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

Quote from: E74cuda on February 27, 2022, 07:52:08 AM

my 702 (7/2/70) "SCHEDULED" 1970 Challenger R/T is factory OPTIONED with the "S79" partial horn ring steering wheel

198D13

Quote from: E74cuda on February 27, 2022, 07:52:08 AM
Quote from: 198D13 on February 27, 2022, 06:54:07 AM

Typically, anyone into E74 knows nothing about A93. A93 was available from late February 1970 to the end of 1970 production.

198D13

S79 was available throught the 1970 production year.

MoparCarGuy

Challenger info on steering wheels. Standard wheel was code S81.