Main Menu

Sail panels?

Started by truckinman466, November 10, 2019, 05:44:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

Getting ready to order a new headliner. 73 Challenger. Does this car use sail panels? The interior was gone when I got the car.

anlauto

I know 70/71 Challengers don't use a separate sail panel.... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

Quote from: anlauto on November 10, 2019, 06:09:51 AM

:thinking:  70-71 do have separate sail panels. 72+ do not?

anlauto

Quote from: fc7cuda on November 10, 2019, 06:26:47 AM
Quote from: anlauto on November 10, 2019, 06:09:51 AM

:thinking:  70-71 do have separate sail panels. 72+ do not?
We're talking Challenger's not Cuda's.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

@Burdar Darren what do 1973 Challenger's have ?

Burdar

Challengers use a sail panel under the headliner for support.(between the roof and headliner) I don't remember there being one on my 73 but that was a very long time ago. I don't have one on there now and it isn't needed. 70-72 use a perforated headliner. 73-74 use a Yorkshire headliner. Maybe the extra support is needed with the perforated style? It's not needed with the Yorkshire. 72 is a gray year. Not 100% sure the headliner style used.

I would recommend the OP ordering the correct headliner. You can get it from SMS or Dante. The SMS is dead nuts original but it's really expensive. The one from Dante is thicker then original but looks correct when istalled. It's more expensive then the perforated style but cheaper then the one from SMS.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

anlauto

Yes...1970-71 Challengers also used a carboard filler sail panel under the headliner, but it's not visible when finished and isn't ordered as a separate "headliner" piece like the Cudas.

I use only Legendary Auto Interior headlines. Never tried SMS but if their service is anything like their vinyl tops...I'll pass.

Rdchallenger

I only recall my 73 Challenger having the teeth on the sail panel when taking out the headliner, no cardboard or other fillers.

dodj

My '73 had no evidence of cardboard (filler) panels when I replaced the headliner.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Topcat

There was a seller up in Washington state about 8-10 years ago selling pre-curved Cuda' sail panels with Hounds tooth already on.

I have them on my car and they're excellent.

Getting the right curve; & material sitting right, is a battle of it's own.   

I asked @rocketresto if he recalls who it was, but he didn't know either.