Main Menu

seat track loose

Started by dave73, August 29, 2018, 06:57:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

My drivers side seat track with the slider handle has some play in it. It's bolted tightly to the floor. When you pull up on the seat, the upper and lower portion of the seat track separate about 1/2". Not a huge deal because when I sit on it, the weight keeps it stable. But is there a way to remedy this? First pic is all the way down, second is up about 1/2". I have a video but not sure how to upload.

Burdar

You may be missing a slider inside that track.  If a slider is missing, the two halves will want to come apart.  You need to get that track off and on the bench.  If you ever got in a fender bender, your slider might pull apart.  That wouldn't be good.

dave73

This little guy? If so, it's very flimsy. That'd really keep the top and bottom together?

Burdar

That piece yes.  Then there is a large roller that goes in there as well.  I never had my Challenger tracks apart.  My Dart sliders were metal.  I guess they switched to plastic at some point.

Maybe that's not the problem but I'd still get that track on the bench and get a closer look at it.

dave73

Thanks for the detail. I'll look into it more. When I had mine off, there were signs of them being re-drilled in different locations and definitely a bit hacked. I only have one of those plastic inner sliders, I don't have a roller. Are there rebuild kits available? Basically all I have is the large sliders and the 2 springs.

Burdar

On the picture you posted, I call that a "cage".  On my Dart tracks I had two cages with two little ball bearings and two large rollers per track.  One in the front and one on the back.  I was missing a cage/roller so I had to find a used one online.  With the missing one, that end of the track wanted to separate in two.  Those pieces hold both halves together.