Main Menu

Sound deadner/insulation

Started by redgum78, November 05, 2018, 03:11:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: Katfish on November 07, 2018, 02:34:08 AM
Great question above, along those lines, where is the most bang for the buck?
I'm mainly concerned about noise, the rattle type these old cars have.
Would I hear improvements just doing the doors, or is the floor needed too.
Quote from: redgum78 on November 06, 2018, 10:39:23 PM
Was anyone using their car prior to fitting?

Curious to know how much improvement in both noise and heat after fitting the insulation?

I was driving both my Cuda and Charger before installing the FatMat insulation. It made a big difference on both, especially with road noise and closing the doors. Now instead of sounding like a hardware store inventory crashing down, the doors sound are solid. I installed insulation on the inside of the outer door skin where I could reach (behind the side window), and on the inside. The other difference is less heat coming from the firewall.

Claudia

:iagree: While I do not have the experience of driving mine before installation, I can say that there is a noticeable sound (or lack there of) difference inside the car between having nothing and having something.

cordodge

Used a lot of dyna mat. expensive for sure but tap the car anywhere and it sounds like lead.

Cudakiller70

Made a huge difference for sound, not sure on heat. it's a must do! My doors went from sounding like a tin can with nuts and bolts in it to the sound of a modern new car door when closing. Won't have another car without it.

nsmall

Its totally worth it, not sure its worth the time to hit every square inch.  I notice no real heat change, but it sounds WAY more solid and is quieter inside.

redgum78

Thanks for all the feedback. I was 50/50 about putting it in the doors. I will be doing that for sure now.

Cheers

Dan

RUNCHARGER

On an E-body the doors are almost the most important part. It really takes the tinniness out of them.
Sheldon

redgum78

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 08, 2018, 07:07:27 AM
On an E-body the doors are almost the most important part. It really takes the tinniness out of them.

I did one door last night.....its a bit tricky getting it between the side intrusion rail and the outer skin.

303 Mopar

Quote from: redgum78 on November 08, 2018, 10:57:07 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 08, 2018, 07:07:27 AM

I did one door last night.....its a bit tricky getting it between the side intrusion rail and the outer skin.

I found that if you can get the stuff stuck to the outer skin in as many places as possible, knowing you will not cover it all, that is good enough!

RUNCHARGER

I agree, just to the beam is enough. The skin doesn't even need to be totally covered. You're taking the resonance out of the sheetmetal.
Sheldon

redgum78

The stuff I got came in sheets 16x10 inch. It was pretty tricky but I managed to slide it between the intrusion beam and the outer skin. Then I forced a bit of garden hose between the beam and the insulation and scissored it back and forth to apply pressure to get it to stick behind the beam. One sheet per door, should be good I think. 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

djw383

Fat mat [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk