Started by Blake@diyhemi.com, April 08, 2017, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Nice job guys.  Excited to see where this goes.   :lookatthat:

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: JS29 on April 09, 2017, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on April 09, 2017, 12:19:03 PM
Quote from: JS29 on April 09, 2017, 12:10:39 PM
I am in, my wood grain is missing. would like to have it back on my gran coupe. :twothumbsup:

I know a guy with an extra set :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Talk to me, mine are missing!!!!

I'll get a set together once I'm done unpacking and shoot you a few pictures. Still getting settled in our new place :)

1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

JS29

Blake@diyhemi.com

I purchased this trim piece off eBay this week, paid too much for it but my hunch paid off, so it was worth it.

In the eBay ad I noticed a convertible gran coupe panel with black spray paint over the original white. The trim was also sprayed over. Given the appearance, I assumed the painting was done long ago and possibly preserved the original condition of the clear vinyl that covers the trim pieces.

After some cleaning on one side, you can see that the trim was intentionally bordered in "chrome." The yellow or orange tint common to this trim is due to UV exposure to the vinyl.

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Cuda Cody

:lookatthat:  Man, you got a good eye!  Not many would have spotted that in the ad.   :bravo:

cuda hunter

Are the pieces going to clean up and be usable?

Were you hoping they were the red version instead of the wood grain under the paint?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 12, 2017, 07:20:30 PM
Are the pieces going to clean up and be usable?

Were you hoping they were the red version instead of the wood grain under the paint?

I really was just hoping the trim had a good clear, unharmed coat of vinyl. I was expecting wood grain since the panel was originally white. The pieces I have are good driver quality, however.

Vlad and I have been investigating possibilities with reproduction of the trim and things are somewhat positive at the moment :)

Other neat factoids: I went to look at my original gold panels for my car and removed a few pieces of the original trim. One piece was apparently cut from the beginning of a roll of trim, as it has a section of tapered metal that is not coated in vinyl or paint. Almost like the feed end going into a machine.

The panels in my car had two different part number stampings, one for trim holes and one without. The number with holes was checked, as expected.

Trim tab spacing is specific due to holes in panels being specific. The trim pieces, regardless if red or wood grain, are interchangeable.

Funny thing is, my car is an early 70, being made in October of 69. My original trim is smooth on the wood grain area with less pronounced "grain" coloration. It almost looks like brown trim was used, with some other darker color rubbed on to simulate wood. Other wood grain trim pieces I have seem to have a texture that follows the more detailed "grain." I wonder when that change took place. Maybe a 70/71 difference?

1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

1 Wild R/T

Rather than attempt to attach clips & need panels with holes it would be much easier to attach the trim with double sided tape...

cataclysm80

In addition to UV light causing the yellowing, it's also caused by heat. 
This happens to oil based items, but is most noticeable on whites and clears.