Main Menu

Tan Interior

Started by F8RT, August 13, 2018, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PlumCrazyRTSE

Below are photos of my original rear vinyl seat.

PlumCrazyRTSE

Quote from: autoxcuda on August 14, 2018, 09:44:25 PM
The 70 T/A was restored locally by Troy Bray from a 40K mile car. Still had crack in dash and driver seat ripped.

He matched hard plastic parts by buying several close spray can colors. Then test spraying tiger stripes around the A-pillar moldings revealing the unexposed backside.

That T/A has the same Legendary seat skins you have.

Your sun visor looks a little marbled too. But just a little.

He matched the colors by just buying spray cans?    :thinking:

I tried that route initially by buying every tan spray paint color I could find in all the local stores and off the internet.  Anything I thought might even be close, I bought and tested.  I came up with nothing that was a close match.  I'm embarrassed to say how much money I wasted doing that.  :Thud:

F8RT

Thanks I just wanted to make sure I had the right seat covers. I'm thinking I am going to pick one color out of the original parts I have.  Then have local paint supplier match it and then dye everything that color. Just not sure I care for all the different colors some of the pics of original interiors have. Just need to pick best color to match the seat covers.

F8RT

I know it's been awhile since this discussion was started. I'm still struggling to find the right color to dye all the plastic parts. I got some samples from Kolor Korrect but so far not much luck. They are working with me to try and find something that will work. They agree with me that the seat covers from Legendary are not correct but I guess I'm stuck with them because I approved a one inch square sample. Attached is my original rear seat with the legendary seat cover laying on top.

js27

My Challenger is EV2--HRT5-I got the seats covers from Legendary. I sent them a swatch I cut off the original seat that was folded over from underneath so it wasn't faded. They matched it pretty well. I have also been researching tan interiors and there were different colors on different parts-due to material-vendors and so on. So far it seems that the medal part of the dash was a darker tan than the dash pads. The armrest cushion also seem to have been a darker tan. Still working on the rest. When I did my car back in 2000 I just took a swatch of the seat material to a local PPG store and they mixed the paint to match. Hence why all my interior is the same color. You learn as you go,,,,
JS27

anlauto

Quote from: F8RT on January 06, 2019, 08:20:37 PM
I know it's been awhile since this discussion was started. I'm still struggling to find the right color to dye all the plastic parts. I got some samples from Kolor Korrect but so far not much luck. They are working with me to try and find something that will work. They agree with me that the seat covers from Legendary are not correct but I guess I'm stuck with them because I approved a one inch square sample. Attached is my original rear seat with the legendary seat cover laying on top.

Have you tried Herb's Paints ? They have 1970 Brown, I've never used that colour but I've had absolute great success with every colour I have used :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

F8RT

I will check Herb's out.
JS27 did you dye your dash pad? I'm a little concerned about the Challenger emblem on the dash. How easily on the new dashes does it come off. With it being inset it would be hard dye with it in place.

anlauto

Quote from: F8RT on January 13, 2019, 10:21:30 AM
I will check Herb's out.
JS27 did you dye your dash pad? I'm a little concerned about the Challenger emblem on the dash. How easily on the new dashes does it come off. With it being inset it would be hard dye with it in place.

I just did this with a 70 Barracuda dash pad from Roseville...no issues removing and replacing the emblem.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

750-h2

Quote from: F8RT on January 13, 2019, 10:21:30 AM
I will check Herb's out.

If you have a new UR dash like the one Dave sells, the Challenger dash badge is poor quality and doesn't look much like the original. On my UR dash that I purchased from Dave I removed the dash badge before I dyed the dash and then replaced it with a high quality dash badge that I purchased from Year One.  The UR badge has pins and is attached with crazy glue. It might break when you remove it. The Year One badge is metal and its pins are in the same location. Using the existing holes I just pushed in my new badge without any adhesive and its a nice tight fit.

F8RT

I have my original dash pad with emblem. I have not tried to remove it. Are they also attached with pins? If so I could use it, I guess they are all the same size old verses new.

750-h2

The only way you can remove your original Challenger emblem without cutting off the entire mounting pins is by first cutting out the dash foam around the emblem and pulling the cut section completely off the dash. Unlike UR or Year One, the original emblem pins are also secured at the back of the foam. Once you cut the end of the pins you will be able to pull out the emblem.  Pin location on all emblems are the same.

anlauto

I've recently restored 5 1970 Challengers. All of them have original 48 year old dash pads in them. For all of them I removed the old emblem by prying it off, and cleaned out the holes and placed in a new reproduction emblem without any problems. If you intend on saving the old emblem, it might get tricky saving the pins on the back.

js27

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 13, 2019, 06:17:05 PM
The only way you can remove your original Challenger emblem without cutting off the entire mounting pins is by first cutting out the dash foam around the emblem and pulling the cut section completely off the dash. Unlike UR or Year One, the original emblem pins are also secured at the back of the foam. Once you cut the end of the pins you will be able to pull out the emblem.  Pin location on all emblems are the same.
That is what I did to get my original emblem off. I cut the vinyl and foam around it. I did not place it onto my dash cap because there is no recess to put in. On my A66 car I bought a 71 dash cap which comes with the recessed area and double sided tape the original emblem into the recess and it look correct.

F8RT

You have 5 with the original dashes, were they not cracked? Mine is faded and cracked, I was planning on ordering a new one. I'm looking at Dash Pad Pros metal core. Anybody used them before? Looks like JS27 has used dash caps how do they look in person compared to complete dash pad, pics look good? I just assumed complete pad gave best results if you can afford it.

anlauto

Quote from: F8RT on January 14, 2019, 08:09:06 PM
You have 5 with the original dashes, were they not cracked? Mine is faded and cracked, I was planning on ordering a new one. I'm looking at Dash Pad Pros metal core. Anybody used them before? Looks like JS27 has used dash caps how do they look in person compared to complete dash pad, pics look good? I just assumed complete pad gave best results if you can afford it.

I searched high and lo for them, paid big dollars for them....I have one more here on the shelf for a 70 and one for a 71-74.
Up in Canada they are not as hard to find. :alan2cents: :canada: