Main Menu

Tuff wheel with rim blow Dodge cap

Started by Brads70, January 16, 2017, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I always admired both the Tuff wheel and the Dodge rim blow cap. Problem is the rim blow cap does not fit in the horn switch as it was never designed to be the horn that you press.
I decided to make it work anyhow. You do need to machine or file out the horn switch a little so the cap snaps in. You are then left with a big gap, so I machined up a ring. Here are a few pictures to see how it's done.

Brads70

I used the PG Classics Tuff wheel.
http://www.pgclassic.com/256-bs
Leather feels nice, I replaced a Grant tuff wheel. This wheel is 1" in diameter smaller than the Grant version which is nice. The only negatives was the 6-32 holes for the horn switch were not tapped and the stainless spokes looked to have rust or some brown substance on them but with the spokes being stainless it was not rust but I'm guessing polishing compound? I spent about an hour with some 600 grit paper to finish the polishing getting rid of the swirl marks. The polishing left a little to be desired. Overall I'm happy with it though!

Cuda Cody

:bravo:  Is there anything you can't do?   :perfect10:

Brads70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 16, 2017, 06:33:21 PM
:bravo:  Is there anything you can't do?   :perfect10:

HAHA Wiring/electrical I'm not so good at.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

anlauto

Well I guess it's wired correctly then :rofl:  no really I was wondering if there was any room for it to move inside your ring.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

I'm pretty sure they are available in reproduction though :thinking:

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on January 16, 2017, 06:41:16 PM
I'm pretty sure they are available in reproduction though :thinking:
The rim blow caps you mean? If so this is a repop cap.

anlauto

anlauto

Yea I know they make those, but the Plymouth one I posted is modified to fit the Tuff Wheel, just like yours  :smile:

cataclysm80

If I ever get tired of my rim blow wheel, I'd want a tuff wheel with this cap.
Nice Job!

Tony Monty

Brads70- would you be interesting in making another spacer for the rimblow cap to sell?   I would love to have one! -Anthony

JS29

@Tony Monty  To get a members attention use the @ symbol like this @Brads70   :bigthumb: