Main Menu

Upgraded 3-point ...or even 4-point seat belts/seats w/harness bar

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, October 01, 2018, 10:31:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I am looking to buy upgraded belts, I believe I left the bolts in the roof for the factory high mounting point under the headliner....so I'll have to track those down and cut into it.

I am looking for retractable 3point belts with stock seats.

I am also interested in the potential for a different front seat with 4 points. I must be able to have relatively easy back seat access for the kids.

All relative comments and pictures are welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

PLUM72

How about tracking down seat belts from a 74 e-body?  I thought those were 3-point that were retractable more so like what is used today.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm leaning toward a four point. I don't think Ebodies came with a factory retractable three point, just a fixed version.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

PLUM72

I dug a picture up from the web.  I seem to remember the 74's anchoring one end of the belt through a slot in the rear door panel.
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

Mpdlawdog

70/6chall

Goody........I have had '74 E-body 3-point retractable factory belts in my '70 Challenger since the late 80's. So I went from the factory stock aircraft style lift latch belts to the '74 push button deluxe factory easy bolt in integrated 3-point belts. You can separate the shoulder belt from the lap due to a lock in place tab on the lap part of belt. They actually work the same as the belts in the newer cars. Passenger side pulls right to left and secures and the drivers side pulls left to right and secures. With plenty of access to the back.  Thanks,   Al

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: 70/6chall on October 01, 2018, 03:57:56 PM
Goody........I have had '74 E-body 3-point retractable factory belts in my '70 Challenger since the late 80's. So I went from the factory stock aircraft style lift latch belts to the '74 push button deluxe factory easy bolt in integrated 3-point belts. You can separate the shoulder belt from the lap due to a lock in place tab on the lap part of belt. They actually work the same as the belts in the newer cars. Passenger side pulls right to left and secures and the drivers side pulls left to right and secures. With plenty of access to the back.  Thanks,   Al

:iagree: I have the same type seat belt setup in my 1971 way safer than the originals.

dodj

Quote from: Mpdlawdog on October 01, 2018, 03:46:35 PM
I got a set of these xv motorsports for mine...they are nice..says out of stock right now....

https://xvengineering.com/products/xv-racing-products-3-point-retractable-belt-bucket-seats-black

I have these installed as well and have nothing bad to say about them. They were reasonably priced and shipped quite quickly direct from XV.
I can take a couple pics and post'em up if you are interested in how they look.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gzig5

I've been pretty happy with the ones I got from Wesco.  I think a couple of other members here have them as well.

https://www.wescoperformance.com/welr-l-seat-belt-bucket-help.html

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: gzig5 on October 02, 2018, 06:44:37 AM
I've been pretty happy with the ones I got from Wesco.  I think a couple of other members here have them as well.

Does the belt ride on your shoulder well?
Does the lap portion stay tight when the belt is worn, or does it move freely?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on these and get something going.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

gzig5

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on October 02, 2018, 08:03:41 AM
Quote from: gzig5 on October 02, 2018, 06:44:37 AM

Does the belt ride on your shoulder well?
Does the lap portion stay tight when the belt is worn, or does it move freely?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on these and get something going.

With the dropped upper sash guide it rides over my shoulder and not my neck.  It stays where is should in use.  Only thing I would improve is a little more tension on the winder, it's not as strong as what I'm used to but it's not a deal breaker.  Just have to help it occasionally if you just throw the belt off, it may not fully wind up.  Could just be mine. I haven't tried to improve it.  Get the HW kits they offer with it and select the 11" buckle.  I like the Retro buckle.  Product looks like it belongs in the car and the price probably can't be beat.

303 Mopar

Quote from: dodj on October 02, 2018, 05:13:49 AM
I got a set of these xv motorsports for mine...they are nice..says out of stock right now....

https://xvengineering.com/products/xv-racing-products-3-point-retractable-belt-bucket-seats-black

I have these installed as well and have nothing bad to say about them. They were reasonably priced and shipped quite quickly direct from XV.
I can take a couple pics and post'em up if you are interested in how they look.

I'm also interested in 3-pt belts for the Cuda, but I have the plastic/fiberglass floor box that the belt slips through.  Does anyone know if I need to remove that and mount the retractable piece there?  Also, does the new shoulder mount match where the current piece is installed in the roof that holds the shoulder belt now?  Please share your pics too.

GrandpaKevin

Do you have any pictures of how the belts mount to the trans tunnel under the console?

I have a set of XV belts ready to install but I'm confused as how these particular belts are installed as they look backwards.

I've heard the plastic belt sheaths might need to be heated and rebent when using a console.

gzig5

The Wesco are a little funky around the console as well.  I have mine mounted upside down at the moment until I get into it further.  But, @Brads70 has them mounted correctly in his car with a console, so it can be done.

Brads70

I did move the floor mount back some to accommodate me moving the seat mount back as well.
I did have 74 ebody belts in my car when I bought it. Just replaced them as the old ones were looking a little tired , you know " mission creep"  The 74 belts retracted into the rear panels as well as on the floor. I gave them to someone on here, can't remember who?  When I bought all new panels I didn't want to cut them for the stock seat belt set up.