Main Menu

Voltage gauge for Cuda rallye dash

Started by Cudalbs, February 11, 2017, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

screamindriver

Nicely done !!  :bigthumb:...Now break out that flourescent red paint and make all the needles match... :haha:

Cuda Cody

:clapping:  Nice job!!!!! 

Quote from: Cudalbs on February 16, 2017, 07:57:20 PM
Quote from: Cudalbs on February 11, 2017, 09:53:53 PM
I'll have the gauge next week and I'll post swap out.   :cheers:

Well I said I would post my journey through this little project, so here we go....
I started with a stock rallye cluster and sunpro voltmeter CP7985.
I disassembled the dash and removed the ammeter making sure you check where all of the isolators because the isolaters keep the gauge from grounding out and causing trouble. Next I had to cut open the voltmeter and remove the gauge itself. I cut the back off wit a dremel,  others have said they cracked it open at a seam but I could not find a seam to crack. If you do use the dremel make sure to get all the shavings out of the gauge.
The next part you have to decide if you are using the old ammeter face or the sun pro face. I used the sunpro and you definitely need to do some modifying on either one. You can look at the pics to see what I had to do to the sunpro. If you use the ammeter you'll have figure out where to drill the holes to mount the face to the gauge.
The two studs on the back of the voltmeter are a little closer together than those on the ammeter so I had to file the holes in the dash casing a little bit so the gauge would fit correctly. That was pretty much it and it was a fun little project.

fc7cuda

:iagree:

That turned out really nice.  Both conversions look good and something to consider doing in the future for sure.   :congrats:

Tom

HP_Cuda

Good job!

A little work and ingenuity works charms!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cudakiller70

That's awesome Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this, it's appreciated. I'm not so scared anymore  :stop:  :cheers:

MOPAR MITCH

VOLT GAUGE IS ON MY TO-DO LIST... PREFERABLY WITH DENSO ALT CONVERSION.

cataclysm80

Alright, Great to see you here Mitch! 
The forum just got better. 
:welcome:

Claudia

Quote from: Cudalbs on February 11, 2017, 06:40:16 PM
I was wondering what you guys are using and where you are mounting a voltage gauge after you have deleted your ammeter. Does anybody make one that would just replace the ammeter in a rallye dash?  That's probably asking a little to much. Advice and pics would be great :)
Thanks, Mike

Here is my before and after gauge conversion.

Cudalbs

Quote from: Claudia on November 21, 2017, 07:26:12 AM
Quote from: Cudalbs on February 11, 2017, 06:40:16 PM
I was wondering what you guys are using and where you are mounting a voltage gauge after you have deleted your ammeter. Does anybody make one that would just replace the ammeter in a rallye dash?  That's probably asking a little to much. Advice and pics would be great :)
Thanks, Mike

Here is my before and after gauge conversion.
Wow.....
That came out very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Love those round taillight cars"

Mr Lee

Wow Claudia, that looks great!  Looks really stock.   May I ask where you got that Voltmeter gauge and how much work was it to install?  Did you glue on the stock needle?  I am thinking I'd like to try what you did.   Thanks
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Claudia

Quote from: Mr Lee on October 16, 2019, 10:08:34 AM
Wow Claudia, that looks great!  Looks really stock.   May I ask where you got that Voltmeter gauge and how much work was it to install?  Did you glue on the stock needle?  I am thinking I'd like to try what you did.   Thanks

Yeah, I like the stock look of the gauge as well. 
I had Instrument Specialties restore my gauges and do the conversion.

Katfish

Wonder if they would just sell the stand alone gauge

Mr Lee

Just did a search for the Sunpro CP7985 and came across this Bosch FST7985.    Coincidence that they have the same numbers in the part#???  Is one company making them for the other?   Has anyone tried the Bosch?  If not, I will be the guinea pig.

1 Wild R/T

I've used the Sunpro, the major dimensions are very close, close enough to work with minor tweaking... On the one I did I didn't like the needle looking different so I used my Dremel & cut the needles off both the original gauge & the Sunpro.. Then I used hot melt glue to attach the OE needle to the Sunpro gauge....  Before I did it I was concerned but I have extra Ammeters & the Sunpro gauge is cheap so I had to try..... And it worked perfectly...    Mounting is easy, it bolts right in... I still need to deal with the face... Once I get that finished I'll probably make a few more for my other cars... This one is actually for a friends 64 Plymouth wagon...

Mr Lee

Thank you to all who take the initiative to be the first to try things, see if they are possible and then post for all of us to benefit from.   Even if you're not the first to try something, the sharing of information is very valuable.  I saw that the sunpro gauge was doable and decided to give it a go with the Bosch gauge, which I'm convinced is the same exact gauge with a different brand name on it (mine said Made in China, so I'm pretty sure Bosch didn't make it).  Anyway....

Yes it took some trimming of the gauge face, and drilling new screw holes in the face, but it went in.  Not sure if anyone else ran into this, but when I installed the gauge, the little resistor (or diode?) was touching the dash case.  I tried just bending the wires and resistor up a little but then went ahead and melted the solder joints, bent the little wires, and then re-soldered it together so it was up out of the way and not touching the metal case.  Wasn't a big deal. 

Aside from that, I will confirm what someone else said about the two mounting studs of the new volt gauge being closer together than the stock ammeter gauge so i had to file the openings in the back of the dash case.  Then install the little cardboard insulator on the back before you put the nuts on, so they dont short circuit. 

I have yet to bench test it, but it's in.  Going to try to attach some pics. I'm new here so not too experienced with how to post.  Lets see if this works...