Main Menu

Slapstick shifter change?

Started by MRM82, August 19, 2019, 11:11:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MRM82

The slapstick shifter on my car cracked and came apart completely on me today as I was parking the car. Luckily I have a new one, but was wondering is there anything to replacing them? Is it a straight forward remove the screw and swap, I did search the term but didn't find a answer. Thank you

JS29

What year are you working on? 70 is different than 71-74. and some 1974's came with the 1970 style.  :alan2cents:

MRM82

Sorry details would help. It's a 1972 challenger, with a 904 transmission

70 Challenger Lover

My 71 with a 904 was super easy. Remove the screw and swap. I found I had to jiggle the handle and button at the same time to get it to set down in there completely but it wasn't any trouble.

Burdar

Easy.  One screw and the handle pulls off.

318Stroker

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on August 19, 2019, 11:36:17 AM
My 71 with a 904 was super easy. Remove the screw and swap. I found I had to jiggle the handle and button at the same time to get it to set down in there completely but it wasn't any trouble.

Yep, easy job. It might take you longer to find your screwdriver than to swap out the T-handle.

MRM82

gzig5

Watch that screw.  I don't know if mine was the wrong one or if the handle plastic shrunk, but it was too long and when tightened would hit the rod that the button actuates to release the shifter and lock the shifter up.  I had to trim one thread off the screw to let it tighten up properly and since then has been no problemo.

Burdar

Correct, if the screw is too long, it will interfere with the movement of the inner shaft.

anlauto

:iagree: yup great advice, sounds like we've all learned that the hard way :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration