Main Menu

1973 Challenger Gen 3 Hemi swap

Started by 71340RT, November 25, 2021, 06:42:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: anlauto on November 16, 2022, 07:47:12 AM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 16, 2022, 07:00:48 AM
What are you doing for the accessories?   It seems each one of these builds has been different.   One guy cut his frame rail to fit the alternator, another changed timing covers...  Holley sells a full kit but at a whopping $2200, Roseville provided me a list of parts needed but it doesn't have anything relocated by the looks of it.

I used all the stock accessories from Chrysler on the two 392 Hemis I installed in E Bodies. I did notch the frame only because I read it online. After having the engines installed, I would say it's not 100% necessary, the alternator would have cleared, but it is nice to have a bit of insurance. :dunno:

Hmm.  That's the only part I wasn't too keen on.   I mean, I just spent a butt load of money to get all new metal installed.  I'm not sure I want to start hacking away at it

I assume the crate motors come with the "car" timing cover? is that the one you used? 

SRT392

OK, the 6.4 crate motor did come with the car timing cover. I had Mopar Dave  at Roseville supply me the crate motor and all the accessories. He has a good list.  I did not want to modify the car so i went with not notching the frame rail and used the alternator suggested by Blake at DIY Hemi.
I put a complete how to with pics up on his website.  If you would like i can put it up here. Also you can go to my build under the restorations and "And the journey begins".  I put a couple pic there of the Alt mod and how it fits with absolutely no clearance issues.

Filthy Filbert

Thanks, I'll take a look at the thread.

I've only talked with Jon at Roseville, ordered a bunch of sheet metal from them, and bought my crate motor from them.  He gave me what is probably the same list he gave you.   If the parts on his list are mopar brand OEM parts, I will likely source them from other places to save some money.   $800 for an alternator, a couple bolts and idler pulleys feels a bit steep to me if they're just factory replacement OEM type parts.

Filthy Filbert

@SRT392    Do you have a print or better description of the lathe work you had to do?    The text in this thread only says how deep to go, but it looks like he left a shoulder--there's no mention of diameters of the cuts. 

Why does it need to be done?   

https://www.diyhemi.com/forum/hemi-engines/alternator-question

SRT392

yes i can pass you the exact dimensions if you want to go this route.  if you have access to a lathe and moderate ability to operate it would be easier to just machine one.  This is very doable and if you want to go down this road just PM me and we'll exchange emails and i'll send you all the pics and dimensions you'll need.

Filthy Filbert

I messaged you.   I could 3d print a metal pulley from any alloy you could imagine, on a laser powder bed machine if I wanted to.   :haha:

nsmall

Awesome build!!!! Keep us updated.   :bravo:

71340RT

I bought the Holley Mid mount compete accessory kit complete with accessories. I'm just about ready to install some of the accessories and here is a picture of there front cover installed.
1971 Challenger RT 340 auto 1 of 731
1973 Challenger Rallye 392 Hemi A41 4 speed automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi auto

360fish

Is there really any difference between the fit in the engine bay of the 5.7 and the 6.4, or is that all internal?
Thank you
Alan
1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset

74-5.7

360fish

1973 'Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to '72 offset