Main Menu

392 Hemi crate motor help

Started by SRT392, May 26, 2022, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SRT392

Hi all,   

i am getting the 392 ready for the trans install and need some help.  i am using a 46RH.  so i know you have to pull the pilot bearing from the crate motor so can someone help me with a part number and where to get a new pilot bearing for the 392 Gen III and 46RH??

really could use the help,,    thanks in advance

jeff

Racer57

Bullitt-

Does an automatic transmission like the 46RH require a pilot bearing?  :clueless:
    That's a manual transmission thing on the early models
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

SRT392

Hi Racer57,

yes i have been thru that several times and only see the reference to removing the pilot bearing but no reference for a new one to match up with the 46RH/727/518.   you have any ideas???

thanks for the response

jeff

SRT392

i'm really a standard trans guy so looking for some enlightenment here..

74-5.7

Quote from: SRT392 on May 26, 2022, 07:58:06 PM
i'm really a standard trans guy so looking for some enlightenment here..

An auto trans doesn't require a pilot bearing.  You will need a  hemi swap flexplate and non balanced torque converter for your application.
If you have more questions ask.

SRT392

the trans shop actually asked the question so that's why i brought it up to get an education. yes i have the flex plate adaptor that Dave Radcliff sent with the crate motor. i ASSUME the eng is internally balanced so that's why the unbalanced torque converter. any suggestions on a stall?

74-5.7

With out knowing the RPM range of the camshaft it just a WAG but I would guess 2000 to 2500 stall.
As I understand selecting stall you want a the stall to be 500RPM above the low end of the camshaft power band. For example the cam operates 2000 to 6000 RPM you would want a converter that stalls at 2500 rpm.

Somebody if the is wrong please chime in and set me straight on this.

SRT392

ok this is a standard 392 6.4 SRT crate motor of 485 HP as provided by Mopar Performance.  not sure what they use for the cam but its the same motor as in my 2014 SRT Challenger except no MDS

SRT392

OK,  so i removed the pilot bearing but do you need to remove the insert portion also???   need some help here from the expertise ..  the trans guys say i need 1.810 for the torque converter to slide in.

thanks

SRT392

Katfish,     thanks so very much for the link and the info.  VERY informative.  now i know what i have to do..  how far along are you with your conversion?  let me know if we can conspire as we go along....

take care

thanks      jeff

Katfish

Hi Jeff,

I'm finally at the point of test fitting the engine.  Hopefully got all the engine bay stuff completed, drilled hole for wiring harness and trimmed the passenger frame rail for alternator clearance. 
Hope to have the engine install complete within 2 weeks.

Radiator delivery is delayed with no date in sight......

SRT392

Katfish.  almost there also. waiting on my QA1 GENIII eng mounts so i can put the eng on the QA1 Kframe, should get the 46RH back from the shop this week then that can go back together. Body is ready for paint just need to pre assemble for fitting.  trying to get a conversation with Blake at DYI hemi and verify the alternator so i don't have to notch the frame rail. its either a 2006-2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee or a 2005-2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Commander SRT 5.7L. if you are going automatic which one are you using and which Hemi did you go with?  What stall on your torque converter?     thanks again for your help that got me going in the right direction..