Main Menu

Hemi Swap: Transmission choices for Gen III 392 Hemi

Started by 392 Cuda, November 07, 2018, 06:03:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Hemi1632

@392 Cuda that is a nice piece, but how modern are you going to go? Seats? Dash? I saw a swap where a guy used the whole interior out of a magnum.....
Have you decided how far you are going to go? Or are you just trying to see what works wile looking good?

Swamp Donkey

I will also be watching this thread pretty close.  I might also go with the 8HP90.  I think it will go quite nice with my plans for my car.  So cool that this can be made easy with the US Car tools stuff. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

392 Cuda

I'm not sure how far to go on the interior...  I might think about trying seats if the console fits.

It looks like the new shifter would fit in the old console. So that may be an option as well.

I'm just excited to get the trans in there at this point. The 727 was an easy install, but I want an overdrive and lockup converter, and I assume the ratios, etc. for the 8HP70 will be a perfect fit.

I now have the trans and shifter, with the tunnel on order, and the wiring due to be in stock soon. It'll be a big project for me, but I'm hoping to put it in next month.

ec_co

last weekend at a show I saw a '67 Barracuda with the 392 + ZF8 swap .... pretty damn cool. the install kit for the ZF is PRICEY though
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

392 Cuda

ec_co

Quote from: 392 Cuda on September 03, 2019, 01:52:13 PM
@ec_co What kit were they using?

the guy said it was $4K for the stand alone controller kit and I had just read about the same kit/company couple of months back .... but now that I'm searching the web I can't seem to locate the right site/company.

maybe this one http://soundgermanautomotive.com/

We are a fully authorized Powertrain Control Solutions (PCS) dealer and can supply all PCS products.

PCS Transmission Control Unit:

IMG_3765We specialize in the standalone Transmission  Control Unit (TCU) for the 722.6, W5A580, or  NAG1 transmission. This transmission is found  in Mercedes-Benz models from the late 1990's  through 2008 (depending on model and  options), the Dodge/Chrysler line up (5.7 and  6.1  SRT8 300c, Charger, Challenger and in Jeep  Cherokees), and in select Porsche and Jaguar  models.

8hp:

No supporting 8hp swaps with the FCA units only. We support swaps with factory take out ECMs, crate motor ECMs, and full standalone conversions.

5hp:

Support for the ZF 5hp line of transmissions has been added. We have base calibration for all versions and now have complete wiring harnesses so no donor harness is required.

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

392 Cuda

I actually ordered the wiring from sound German on Friday.

The TCU is built into the valve body in the 8HPs. Russell charges $1k for the wiring harness with a CAN repeater that gives the TCU the signals it would expect from ABS, etc. so it is happy in your car. You need to use the crate motor kit and a shifter from a late model 392 Challenger.

He sounds like he knows what he is talking about, but it does not sound like he has done a ton of these, so I'm always curious how everyone else is getting them to work.

392 Cuda

Well... No small effort, but my buddy and I completed the 8HP70 swap. Took us about 5 days, lots of cutting, grinding, welding and some fab work.

Still have some bugs to work out with the shift points and an issue with the trans faulting to N. Had to order an HP Tuners (and 4 credits just for the trans) to goof around with the trans settings.

My buddy put together another video of it

JpRngr

Quote from: 392 Cuda on September 30, 2019, 06:42:21 PM
Still have some bugs to work out with the shift points and an issue with the trans faulting to N. Had to order an HP Tuners (and 4 credits just for the trans) to goof around with the trans settings.

Cool video! So, what exactly is happening when the trans defaults to Neutral? Does it happen while driving? Will the HP Tuners allow you to adjust it?

Corey

392 Cuda

What I think is happening, is when coming to a stop, the engine slows down faster than the transmission can shift from 4th to 3rd. The pump loses pressure and transmission fails to Neutral. The D on the shifter flashes, and I have to put it into Park and back to Drive to get it out of Neutral.

It also seems to stay in 1st, 2nd and maybe 3rd for way too long. Might be okay at FOT, but when taking off gradually, it sounds like I don't know how to drive a stick.

Not sure how I'll fix it yet. HP Tuners seems the best bet. Working with Russell from SoundGerman, where I purchased the wiring (CAN playback device). Might try sport mode, track mode, etc. Not sure what my options are yet.

cudaragtop

Watching...

Cool projects. Sound German Automotive is local to me.

Going Manual Reverse VB 727 behind our G3 Project 6.1 69 Barracuda Fastback has been the plan but very interested in the ZF8 swaps now. :wrenching:

Do you use a Challenger steering wheel with paddles? Column Too or adapted to E-Body column?
Do you get both Full auto and Manual Modes?
Pretty sure the Challenger Console aint gonna fit between the seats of an A-Body...

Still a ways away from being ready to light it up.
Have the 6.1 ECU and Harness but was planning to go stand alone. Can you run the ZF8 with any of the stand alone ECU? Does it have to be Throttle by wire or can it be Cable driven?

Followed Eddie's link on Youtube over here.  :ohyeah:

Thanks for posting!!

----o00o--'(_)'--o00o----

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

392 Cuda

I have it working well in regular, sport and track mode. Manual shifting works with the challenger shifter. I had to get HP Tuners and change the downshift points for 5th all the way down to 1st to stop the trans from failing and dropping to neutral when stopping fast. Russell from Sound German helped me troubleshoot and get it going.

I have the challenger console, but everything else looks like 1974. Wooden steering wheel included. I used the stand alone Mopar kit with the drive by wire pedal that comes with it. You can adapt to a cable (particalrtly if you need kickdown), but drive by wire was easy enough.

cudaragtop

Good info!
I have a BBK cable driven TB. Had planned on EFI Source MS3 Gold Box but haven't purchased yet.
Already have a freshly built Full Manual 727 Reverse Valve Body.
Hmmm.

Not ready to change course yet but it sure would be awesome to have a ZF8 speed.
Would be even better if you can add the paddle shifters!

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Hemi1632

Nice work, congratulations! I hope to see it out on the street next summer! All the bugs should be worked out of my challenger by then, we will have to meet up. I want to see all the work you have done up close!

392 Cuda

Quote from: Hemi1632 on December 07, 2019, 08:21:04 AM
Nice work, congratulations! I hope to see it out on the street next summer! All the bugs should be worked out of my challenger by then, we will have to meet up. I want to see all the work you have done up close!

Definitely! I had it downtown until thanksgiving. I put it away back in the suburbs for winter. Need to get the cutouts on there and wire up the keyless entry, etc. this winter.

I've been concentrating on the 69 cuda the past couple weeks. Converting to EFI with a Holley sniper and debating trying to run E85 instead of race fuel (11.4 compression on the 340)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro