Main Menu

Where to vent gas tank?

Started by Katfish, October 29, 2022, 04:58:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

I had fuel injection, with pump in tank for my 340.
Ran the vent line to the PCV on the valve cover on that set-up.

Where would be a good spot, or what to do with the vent line from tank with the 3G motor?

Thx

anlauto

I just used a 1970 tank with the single nipple on the side, ran a hose to a roll over valve mounted as high as I could get under the car  :dunno:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-vvr
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

Interesting, just vents straight to the air, like the old stuff.
No gas smell after pulling in garage on a hot day?

Thx for the reply

Filthy Filbert

If you're worried about gas fumes/smell then vent into a charcoal canister that has a vacuum like to the engine.

Fuel evaporates and soaks into the charcoal which stops the smell.    Vacuum from engine cleans the fumes out of the charcoal.

anlauto

Not anything drastic that I've noticed, not like a carbureted car for sure :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on October 30, 2022, 06:04:57 AM
If you're worried about gas fumes/smell then vent into a charcoal canister that has a vacuum like to the engine.

Fuel evaporates and soaks into the charcoal which stops the smell.    Vacuum from engine cleans the fumes out of the charcoal.

:iagree:

I mounted a charcoal canister in my passenger side front wheel well.  Some of these canisters come with a vacuum switch that's built into the canister.  Mine need a separate vacuum switch.   Ported vacuum is connected to the switch which connects the tank vent line into the non-ported vacuum inlet of the throttle body. The fuel vapors that've been absorbed by the charcoal are pulled into the engine to be burned when it's running above idle.  No gas smell in the garage.   

Katfish

Quote from: Dakota on October 30, 2022, 10:27:45 AM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on October 30, 2022, 06:04:57 AM

:iagree:

I mounted a charcoal canister in my passenger side front wheel well.  Some of these canisters come with a vacuum switch that's built into the canister.  Mine need a separate vacuum switch.   Ported vacuum is connected to the switch which connects the tank vent line into the non-ported vacuum inlet of the throttle body. The fuel vapors that've been absorbed by the charcoal are pulled into the engine to be burned when it's running above idle.  No gas smell in the garage.   

Any pics of the mounting, what PN did you use?

Thx

Dakota

Look for the post on July 20, 2020

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/70-challenger-going-plum-crazy/3743/msg225094#msg225094

I can't remember for sure, but I think the bracket was something I threw together from some scrap pieces.   It's not pretty but it worked.

I'll see if I can find a part number for the AC Delco canister.  I believe I bought it from Rockauto.com.