Main Menu

53 years going strong

Started by Cudakev70, February 22, 2024, 10:05:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakev70

Howdy! Bought my 1st & only Mopar in '71, a '70 cuda convt in sub lime green, 340 slap stick auto. Slowly renovating her over the past 10 years. She is all original except the cam. Seeking info to convert to PS & disc PB's. I am NOT a motorhead, just drive it & looking for input on what to purchase. I have a mechanic that will install. Would sincerely appreciate support. Txs in advance!
Kev

Cudakev70

Pixs added

JH27N0B

Very cool!
I don't blame you wanting to update your car. One of my Challengers I have had since high school and it has manual steering.  I didn't like it then when I was a teen and I certainly don't like it now 45 years later!  Power steering has been a must for every vintage car I have bought since then.
If you aren't a stickler for original parts, there are kits available to convert to power disc brakes.  If you go that route, I hope at least you don't go with the one that uses a GM style master cylinder, I cringe every time I look under the hood of a Mopar and see one of them!
Power steering you'd probably have to track down original parts.  I think even the steering column is different with power steering.

Brads70

dodj

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 22, 2024, 10:52:13 AMI think even the steering column is different with power steering.
The shaft itself is different. All the other parts are the same.

The route suggested by Brad is a popular conversion.
If you choose to go with factory parts, you can buy an upgraded steering box from Firm Feel. Then you will need to find a power steering pump and brackets for a small block. Then the hoses to connect the two and finally either a new steering column as JH27NOB (Also Brad I think?) said or disassemble the one you have and reassemble with a power steering centre shaft. If you go the disassembly route I believe there is a pdf file on site here to guide you or your mechanic through it.

Kudos on an excellent buying choice back in '71! Sweet ride.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill