Main Menu

Georgia Boy

Started by rebelyell, June 03, 2017, 10:03:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rebelyell

Hey Guys, Just heard of this forum this morning. Seems like it gets a little more traffic than TOS. Anyway, Bought a 71 challenger last weekend. Drove it 900 miles from Indiana to South Georgia. Only a few issues, but no show stoppers. Hope to learn a lot and share a lot.

Cuda Cody

Welcome @rebelyell    :welcome:  Thanks for sharing some photos of your cool new Challenger.  Looks like you have a great set of cars there.   :clapping:  Love the color and that hood looks pretty cool.  Do you have any other photos of the hood?  I've never seen one like that before.  Really cool.   :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

And great forum name.  Rebel Yell!!!!  oh ya.   :veryexcited:

71GranCoupe

:rebelflag"  :welcome: from Las Vegas and I  like the new ride. Bet that was one of the best road trips in a long time.  :cheers:

J-Code Jeni

:welcome: We're glad you joined! You'll find this is a friendly & passionate group of e-Body enthusiasts!  :D

Love your 'new' old car! I admire your courage too- driving a classic 900 miles after just buying it takes bravery! I bet you got a lot of thumbs up on the open road!  :twothumbsup:

Rev-It-Up

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Georgian! We're up towards Atlanta. Love your new Challenger...maybe you would like to take it up to Carlisle in July? You can check out all the info about it in "Carlisle" section of the forum. Glad to have you on board!  :welcome:
Rev-It-Up

XeGnome

Welcome aboard from North Georgia  :bigthumb:

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site  :slapme5:
Congrats on the new purchase  :bravo:
900 miles drive is a great first run glad there were no serious issues !!

rebelyell

Thanks for the welcomes! Already seeing a big difference here.

@XeGnome I'm originally from Monroe and I go back there often.

I thought about going to Carlisle, but my schedule is way too busy to get the time to go. Maybe one day...maybe.

Not even going to lie here. Driving this car 900 miles scared me to death. I flew in to IN with a duffel bag full of tools and a small carry on with some clothes. The first leg to Nashville was pretty rough. Barely watching the road while learning what the proper oil pressure is supposed to be, how the temperature needle sits, what happens if it runs hot, watching the fuel gauge bounce up and down while stopping every 50 miles for fuel. It was nerve wracking. Up until the guy picked me up from the airport I'd only ever seen pictures. We got back to his house and went over everything. Really nice guy. Started putting together my list of things to change/fix as soon as I hit the first gas station. Got home with it Tuesday morning around 2am(made a lot of stops to see friends and family). It was a great trip even if a little stressful.

@Cuda Cody Give me a few minutes and I'll go out and get a few pics.

Chryco Psycho

Is that a Helkitten beside it ?
Nevermind I an just see the hood over the new 71 !
what drivetrain do you have in the 71  :thinking:

Cuda Cody

That's a cool story and one you will remember for the rest of your life.  That's the best part about it.  You have a great story now to go along with the cool car.  As you drive it more you'll gain confidence and trust in her.  She'll treat you good if you take care of her.  Let us know if you need any help or tips with anything you come across.  There's a lot of super smart E-Body people on here. 

I'm excited to see more photos of the hood.   :lurking:

Quote from: rebelyell on June 03, 2017, 10:45:45 AM

Not even going to lie here. Driving this car 900 miles scared me to death. I flew in to IN with a duffel bag full of tools and a small carry on with some clothes. The first leg to Nashville was pretty rough. Barely watching the road while learning what the proper oil pressure is supposed to be, how the temperature needle sits, what happens if it runs hot, watching the fuel gauge bounce up and down while stopping every 50 miles for fuel. It was nerve wracking. Up until the guy picked me up from the airport I'd only ever seen pictures. We got back to his house and went over everything. Really nice guy. Started putting together my list of things to change/fix as soon as I hit the first gas station. Got home with it Tuesday morning around 2am(made a lot of stops to see friends and family). It was a great trip even if a little stressful.

@Cuda Cody Give me a few minutes and I'll go out and get a few pics.

rebelyell

@Cuda Cody It's a fiberglass hood with 4 hood pins. Someone before me wrapped it. It may be plastidip, but I can't tell. I need to rig up some sort of flap system on the intake in case I have to drive it in a downpour. That's the best part of the whole thing. I had several people tell me to have it shipped. Heck no. I wanted to drive it. It ended up being a little cheaper too. Averaged 15mpg on the way back.

I wish it was a Hellcat...just a scat pack though.

Forgot to tell you guys what's in it. It was originally a 340/4speed. I looked the other day and they only made 250ish with that motor/trans combo. It now has a 413 in it, but I can't find the numbers on it. The intake manifold is from a 440 and it's starting to leak. There's oil on the metal pan underneath the intake. Probably why it wanted half a quart every 130 miles.

Cuda Cody

Super cool hood.  I like it.   :yes:  Pretty cool that it's a real 340 4-Speed Challenger too.  Nice find man.   :banana:

Chryco Psycho

15 MP is great !!
try jut tightening the intake bolts , they are often loose , if there is oil on the pan you have  leak & it is likely sucking oil into the engine there as well , if you need to replace it use a FelPro 1215 intake gasket with the additional paper gaskets between the heads& pan only this will also block the heat cross over .
Rock auto should be able to supply the gasket & we have our own discount code ebodfrm

rebelyell

I should have thought about tightening them first. I'll have to look around for my torque wrench. I did notice once on the way back that when I let my foot off the gas to hit the brake, I'd see a cloud of blue smoke in the rearview. I'm pretty convinced the gaskets are toast, but I'll try tightening them first. I'm also seeing some drip from the valve cover gaskets on the exhaust manifolds. Thanks for the heads up on a paper gasket..does it come with the felpro kit? I think I added both the intake manfold gasket and the valve cover gasket to my cart on summit because they had them in stock and were cheaper than everywhere I looked. I'll try the rockauto deal. Thanks!! 

Thanks Cody! I'm very excited about it!