Main Menu

Hello from Pittsburgh!

Started by JustinHEMI, April 17, 2017, 04:16:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JustinHEMI

Greetings all!

Justin here from Pittsburgh! I currently own a modern Challenger but also now have the desire to own a classic. I'm just beginning my research and narrowing down what I'm looking for and budget.

This site has been greatly informative so I thought I'd join and say hi. The Facebook group was helpful regarding a car that I was interested in.

Hoping to join in with my own e body one day, and I look forward to learning about them!

Here's the grocery getter.

Cuda Cody

Sweet car man!!!   :twothumbsup:  Thanks for joining us @JustinHEMI   we'll do out best to help you find a good E-Body to go with your awesome modern Challenger.   :slapme5:

JustinHEMI

ec_co

:welcome:

great looking PCP SRT !  :drooling:  you already know we'll do everything to help. Good luck on the hunt!  :stayinlane:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Cuda Cody

Figured it would be easy if I put the photos of the T/A in the link here so everyone can see.

Cuda Cody

Click to enlarge them:

J-Code Jeni

:wave: Hello & welcome! We're glad you joined and have found the site informative... you'll find folks are super friendly and helpful too! 

Btw- you're in good company, several members have multiple e-body's- new & classic! Good luck in your quest!   :popcorn:

jimynick

"Here's the grocery getter." LOL, sure it is! Welcome tothe site and nice car. Good luck with your quest, too.  :yes:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Rev-It-Up

Rev-It-Up

Cuda Cody

Here's some thoughts.  Six Pack and Hemi E-Bodies will always be some of the best cars to own.  They seem to hold their value extremely well and they are a blast to drive.  At the asking price of $80K I would expect an investment quality car.  That's not what they have there.  It's a nice T/A for sure, but so many little details are wrong that to get top dollar for it in the future you would need to fix them.  Here's some of the things I noticed right away:

- Rallye wheel caps are for a 72 to 74 (not for a T/A)
- Most of the underside of the car is detailed incorrectly.  The major thing I would like to see changed would be the cosmoline lower control arms
- Missing decals on the rear Wing
- Missing the T/A Decals on the Quarter panels
- The real tail panel should be painted Organsol Black (now it's purple)
- Fender Tag looks to be reproduction (would like to see better photos of it or a build sheet to back it up)
- Door panels are held on with silver washers and black screws, so not correct and kinda looks odd
- By Pass hose should be painted orange
- Hood looks to be glossy, should be Organosol

There's a lot of other little things, but that's what jumps out at me right away.  Overall a very nicely done T/A, but I think asking price is a little hopeful for what the car is.  For about the same money you can see what some nicer cars look like:

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/ITEMS-FOR-SALE.html

Hope that helps a bit.  Feel free to ask further questions if anything I pointed out doesn't make sense or you're not sure what I'm saying.   :twothumbsup:  Also, do we know if it's a numbers matching car?  Is there a build sheet?  If you have the time, take a peek at this as it will help you know what to ask when looking at these cars.  The numbers matching can make a big difference on the price.

http://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/

Good luck buddy.  And let us know if we can help with anything else.  There's a LOT of very knowledgeable people on this site.  Many that know a lot more then me!   :yes:

Spikedog08

Cody always has good advise!  Looks like a sweet car!  Welcome!   :wave:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

@JustinHEMI  sometimes I'm so excited when I see these cars that I start looking at all the details before asking some questions about you.  This might be a perfect car for what you are looking for, but I didn't slow down enough to ask more about your needs.  What is it that you would like to get from your next muscle car purchase?  There's no wrong answer, just trying to get an idea of what you would enjoy so I can better keep an eye open for ya.   :slapme5:

JustinHEMI

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 17, 2017, 08:11:10 PM
@JustinHEMI  sometimes I'm so excited when I see these cars that I start looking at all the details before asking some questions about you.  This might be a perfect car for what you are looking for, but I didn't slow down enough to ask more about your needs.  What is it that you would like to get from your next muscle car purchase?  There's no wrong answer, just trying to get an idea of what you would enjoy so I can better keep an eye open for ya.   :slapme5:

Thank you for the welcome all! It's been refreshing how welcoming and helpful e-body folks have been.

Thank you Cody for the information on this T/A, I've spent the morning comparing this car to others and looking at your list to learn these things for myself. I also have some E-body books on the way so that I can study and help make a better decision if and when the time comes.

As far as what I'm looking for, I first started on this quest with the idea of getting a driver quality car that I could take to cruises and Pittsburgh Mopar Club events. I am not necessarily looking to get into show cars or investment grade cars, as most investment grade e-bodies are out of my price range. Then I saw that the T/As may squeak under my price range, which I cap at 75K, but could squeeze more for an exceptional car. If I was going to buy a car near that price, I wouldn't want to have to do much correction to make it right.

If I buy a driver quality car, I'm more open minded about what I'm looking for. I would prefer a 4 speed since my modern challenger is an automatic, but that isn't a deal breaker. Although I don't expect perfection in a driver quality car, I feel like I wouldn't be happy if it didn't at least have the correct drivetrain, even if it isn't numbers matching. Here's an example of a car that would interest me from the link that you provided Cody,

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com/TIMS-FOR-SALE.html

I'm also going to send you some information on another car that I'm considering, Cody, but I don't want to post it publicly because the owner shared it with me privately and I'm not aware that it's posted for sale anywhere.

I'm not particularly interested in a restoration project because I have neither the time nor facilities to take on such a project myself. However, if there was a driver quality T/A, for example, that I could drive for 10 years, then restore, that would be fine too. I am also not opposed to "tributes" or "clones".

I'm in no hurry. In fact, at the end of this week, I start a 2 month period where I will be working 6-7 days/week, 12 hours/day, so I won't have time to go look at anything for a while. Kind of a built in pause to make sure that I don't make an impulse buy. :D

As far as the numbers matching guide, that was the first thing that I printed when I found this site. :) I'm going to use it when I call about the T/A above to get more details on it. I'm also going to try to get a feel for how firm they are on that price.

Thanks again for the welcome and all of the help!

Justin

JS29

Jay Bee

:banana:  Welcome aboard from St. Catharines, ON   :canada: