Main Menu

Lucky #6

Started by 303 Mopar, December 09, 2016, 08:05:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I'm #6, which was a very cool number to me growing up.  At a local 1/4 mile circle track at Lakeside Amusement Park we would go watch the weekend races.  Don Carelli was #6 in a late model and super modified classes and one of my favorite drivers.  His wife worked with my mom, and I still remember the day he gave me a signed photo of his car.  His brother, Rick Carelli, was #5 at the time and they had a good rivalry going. 

Don had to stop racing for health reasons so Rick took over the #6 in a super modified car and eventually went on to win the Nascar Southwest tour and even made it to the Craftsman truck series.  He had a bad wreck that almost killed him, and Rick now is a spotter for Kurt Busch.

I was lucky enough to be on a pit crew for a super modified car in the late 80's - early 90's.  We had a old 70's Dodge truck that would haul the car, trailer and equipment to the track.  Then we had a push bar set up to push the super modified at the start of every race due to the gears they ran.  It was a lot of fun all summer long.

Anyway, that is my connection with the #6.  So glad to be here on this site and hope to contribute and help anyone out that I can.

Cuda Cody

Great story.  And just by chance you are the 6th member on here!!!! 

Chryco Psycho

Brads70

Hi Dan, I had no idea you were into circle track racing. I'm not active in it currently but have spent  over 25 years involved in racing. I was a "Nascar" tech inspector for 25 years at my local track up here in Canada. ( Nascar sanctioned)  Sadly it has been bulldozed now and all gone but I really enjoyed all that I have learned and the countless friends and acquaintances I've made over the years.  I'm a moldmaker/machinist by trade and made some super light weight parts that ended up "down south"  with some success.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Brads70 on December 29, 2016, 05:46:16 PM
Hi Dan, I had no idea you were into circle track racing. I'm not active in it currently but have spent  over 25 years involved in racing. I was a "Nascar" tech inspector for 25 years at my local track up here in Canada. ( Nascar sanctioned)  Sadly it has been bulldozed now and all gone but I really enjoyed all that I have learned and the countless friends and acquaintances I've made over the years.  I'm a moldmaker/machinist by trade and made some super light weight parts that ended up "down south"  with some success.

That is so cool you were a tech inspector, well maybe cause I'm sure you made some "friendemies" at the track.  There is still one active circle track here in Denver that is Nascar sanctioned, and another in CO Springs that the Indy Cars use to race at but now it is more just local guys. 

I have seen some of your fabrications and they are spectacular!   :worship:

Moparman82

What up dan!  I see u have a new profile name, makes sense, seeing as how you were :ohyeah: memeber #6 "DFrazz" was probably already taken!  :ohyeah:   :drinkingbud:
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

anlauto

Yea I'm still confused :crazytalk: Why why why....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on January 04, 2017, 07:08:03 PM
Yea I'm still confused :crazytalk: Why why why....

Once your part of the witness protection program you never shake habits like changing your name I guess   :yes:

Spikedog08

Shhh don't say too much!   :notsure:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Chryco Psycho

Roadman

:welcome:           :rebelflag"

303 Mopar

Messing around with iMovie, I threw together this clip of the mopars I have owned....

HP_Cuda

Great ending with the Charger burning rubber off into the sunset!!!

:drinkingbud:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

The country road drive by in the middle was sweet!  And the burnout with the Cuda down the wheat field road makes me miss summer so bad!  Nice job.  :clapping:

303 Mopar

I miss that '71 Challenger.  It looked better in pics than in person, but was really fast and was my first classic mopar.