Main Menu

New to classic mopar and this site.

Started by ronin_mopar, October 14, 2021, 05:58:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ronin_mopar

Quote from: ledphoot on October 14, 2021, 02:57:46 PM
Quote from: ronin_mopar on October 14, 2021, 02:19:02 PM
haha , mopar.... budget... nice!

No not a budget but 5.5k for a front suspension is a bit much is all i was meaning. Specially since not doing drag, or track or anything like that. I had looked at QA1 and Hotchkis.

If your K-member is in good shape you can replace the upper control arms with the ones from QA1, re-enforce the lower control arms, use heavy torsion bars, put in a borgenson steering box and some good quality shocks.. I have the full QA1 setup up front with borgenson box, ride tech shocks, 1.12 torsion bars etc. and after driving it around a bit today I am fairly pleased with the results, I believe you can get there with the factory k-member to save some money in the process. I went with Hotchkiss leafs / hangers.

Rack and pinion is nice and all, but to be honest I don't see the big sell, I guess having a clearer path for your headers without the torsion bars and stuff is nice. Other than that? Meh..  These cars can handle pretty good with upgraded factory style components. I believe you can get the modern Hemi in just fine as well.

I assume your borgenson is a power steering box... did you have to mod the steering column to adjust for the longer arm on the steering box of the power steering boxs.  I have a borgenson kit on order already but i assumed i would have to have the steering column shorted, just checking yours...

ledphoot

We did the borgeson conversion two ways... My brothers Challenger has a coupler from Bergman, my Cuda has an IDidIt til column with the appropriate adapter joint to the borgeson box. I'd order all my suspension components from Bergman.

https://bergmanautocraft.com/product-category/steering-parts/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqp-LBhDQARIsAO0a6aJcUnezxO_H31s4ggN_oV_az356CpDDCB7RyqqOJz_CoRpeYXAoa28aAgfaEALw_wcB

ronin_mopar

Thanks for the link, hadnt seen that site before.  Ill contact them tomorrow and see what they say for my setup.  Mine is original manual steering so ill have to modify a few things to go power steering.  Also i read that the power steering pump put on the 6.4L Gen 3 hemi needs to have a remote res so it can be mounted properly, so all i ordered was a borgeson steering box to fit my car, nothing else yet.

ledphoot

They know these cars and will point you in the right direction.

Spikedog08

Welcome to the site!  Glad you found us and joined!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

jimynick

Firstly, welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada::wave:  As per frt. suspension, I kinda went the way you were discussing. I welded all the seams on the K-frame and Firm Feel sells a reinforcement kit for $85 that also welds in. They re-built my steering box to a Stage 3 level and it basically steers like a new car. Lots of guys here will counsel going with huge 1"+ T-bars, but I bought I think, .960" bars right from Mopar and they are borderline too stiff for street driving, unless your pavement is in better shape than mine. I boxed the lower arms and the car has SS rear springs that are also, borderline too stiff. It has US Tool SFC's and torque boxes as well. It'll go around a corner quite fast enough for me and it all didn't cost 5k+ just for the parts. Just my  :alan2cents:   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ronin_mopar

That all sounds like what im going to do, except i have no steering box to rebuild since my is manual and doesnt turn.. so new borgeson is what i got, if there is better out there than borgeson im all ears??? Can you buy a stage three steering box? or do i even wanna look that up?  I was going with QA1 for a few reasons, easy for me to get, bolt on, no welding and great reviews for fit and functions.. i alotted about 2.5k to 3k for front suspension and 1.5 for the back with double shocks, blocks etc.

ledphoot

Quote from: jimynick on October 14, 2021, 06:46:57 PM
Lots of guys here will counsel going with huge 1"+ T-bars, but I bought I think, .960" bars right from Mopar and they are borderline too stiff for street driving, unless your pavement is in better shape than mine.

I put in 1.12" torsion bars, California roads are abysmal, drove it across town today, I don't believe they are too stiff at all. I am running really good shocks from Ridetech, not sure if that makes it feel more compliant or not. I should be able to lay in to the car a bit more tomorrow when I pick it up from the shop.

Brads70

Welcome, that looking like its going to be a fun project! Enjoy!

Chryco Psycho

CudaMoparRay

Smallblock340

:welcome: to the site from Netherlands! Good luck with your project. Enjoy!  :twothumbsup:
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

cudamadd

Welcome nice looking car should be a fun project cheers :australia:

cuda hunter

Howdy from Colorado!

Is that original paint on the car?
Any chance you would share the fender tag information with us?
Always like reading options on the standard 70 barracuda's!!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

blown motor

Welcome to the site. A flat hood Barracuda is perfect for cutting a hole in to show of your blower.  :D  Just saying.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel