Main Menu

Searching for my first E body

Started by Killerper4mance, May 09, 2020, 11:56:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

if you find something in another area just ask and some of us are willing to put eyes on a car for other members. I've even done a full video walk around for someone. don't hesitate to ask
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

71383bee

Welcome to the site!

As a longtime mopar owner but rather recent e body owner I agree with Alan that your target group is going to be a tough one to catch. I'd LOVE to own a 70/71 vert, R/T, R/TSE or T/A someday but have realized these are pretty serious cars that have substantial value that is tough to get. You need to be realistic about your costs as if it's cheap it's likely not real or needs real work which may be ok if that's something your up to the challenge of tackling. For me I "settled" for pursuing the lesser desirable 72 and up generation cars which there are still a lot of very nice cars out there for lesser cost. 

Not trying to scare you off but you may be surprised that you'd be quite happy with a nice 72 and up 340 Cuda or challenger rallye.  I'm personally loving it and have zero regrets! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Killerper4mance

I appreciate all of the feedback.  I totally understand where you are coming from.  I know that I can't afford a true R/T or T/A in drivable condition with my budget.  But, I have seen a few tributes / clones that have been feasible for my budget floating around in the classifieds.  I'm not opposed to 72-74 models either.  I've seen a few of those that I could bring home.  Reading back over what I wrote, I think I might have made it sound like I'm stuck at 20k.  I was meaning more in the 20s.  Unfortunately, I just realized the car I was really leaning towards appears to no longer be available.   :Thud:  So, I guess, the search goes on.  I've let 3 slip away.  Maybe 4th time is a charm. 

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Killerper4mance on May 12, 2020, 09:34:24 PM
I appreciate all of the feedback.  I totally understand where you are coming from.  I know that I can't afford a true R/T or T/A in drivable condition with my budget.  But, I have seen a few tributes / clones that have been feasible for my budget floating around in the classifieds.  I'm not opposed to 72-74 models either.  I've seen a few of those that I could bring home.  Reading back over what I wrote, I think I might have made it sound like I'm stuck at 20k.  I was meaning more in the 20s.  Unfortunately, I just realized the car I was really leaning towards appears to no longer be available.   :Thud:  So, I guess, the search goes on.  I've let 3 slip away.  Maybe 4th time is a charm.

There are some deals out there. Just be ready to act. And so what if you can't get the year you really want. All the e body cars look killer.

RUNCHARGER

Way better off with a $20k 2-3-4 car than a $20k 70-71 usually. The 70-71 will of course be worth more when you go to resell it of though. Luckily Chrysler didn't change the basic body styles so they all are great looking cars.  Chevrolet and Ford really screwed up the Mustangs and Camaros after 70-72. The 72-3-4 Cuda probably has the best looking grille of the Cudas.
Sheldon

71383bee

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 13, 2020, 07:55:14 AM
Way better off with a $20k 2-3-4 car than a $20k 70-71 usually. The 70-71 will of course be worth more when you go to resell it of though. Luckily Chrysler didn't change the basic body styles so they all are great looking cars.  Chevrolet and Ford really screwed up the Mustangs and Camaros after 70-72. The 72-3-4 Cuda probably has the best looking grille of the Cudas.
I'm theorizing that had to do with dropping the model in 74. They likely new that by 72. Maybe even earlier as the 71 was getting options pulled vs a 70. Why put $$$ into something that they new was ending.   It's ironic though that the model was seen as a failure in the 70's but now Challenger is the hottest car dodge has and it looks like a 71! 

JS29

70Barracuda

Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

JS29

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

JS29

Low production, Rallye cluster, good color, on a cuda360/4-speed. the top of the food chain for 1974 E-Body's.  :bravo:

Killerper4mance

That's a cool car.  I personally think the money is a little strong. :alan2cents:   

And, for the money, I think this car could be a contender.  I realize we are comparing apples and oranges here as it's a JH car vs a BS car, but it's a 71 and more polished for almost 10k less.  https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/d/stillwater-1971-challenger/7118506589.html 
It definitely fits my budget better and with the money I'd "save," I could swap in a healthy big block and :burnout:

I find that I keep coming back to this car:  https://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/d/bowling-green-1971-dodge-challenger/7111917128.html

It's going to stretch the budget, and it has a few issues that are making me a little hesitant.  I noticed the dash cap, A/C components missing under the hood, possible bubble under the new vinyl top, and it's not a 4-speed.  Is this the "deputy" interior I've heard mentioned?  Any advice on this one, the shaker hood car, or the 74 Cuda?

Thanks everyone!

JS29

I would get the cuda!!! The others are basic 318 cars modified to something that the owner created. the 360, 4-speed cuda is not, better value.  :alan2cents:

71383bee

For me hands down the 74 cuda is the top choice for that price range. The car appears to be a relatively unmolested survivor that is retaining a lot of what it rolled out of the factory with. It already is noteworthy as it's been in several mopar magazines and 360 4 speeds were the top of the class for 74.   Their numbers are very low making it rare. By 74 not a lot of people were running in to get the biggest motor and a 4speed. Those days were over so it's pretty cool to see an original one come up.

The other cars are rebadged clones that at the end of the day most people who know these cars will pass by them because they just aren't original. There is a market for clones but at the end of the day they struggle to attain the cash and respect of a performance stock car.  That is unless it's a nicely done restomod or convert. They tend to hold value fairly well but again it is a specific buyer that goes for that.

The orange Car appears to be a better car than the blue but there are a lot of items still missing to claim it as an R/T. And I've learned over time that shiny new paint ain't always what it's supposed to be.   

The blue 74 reminds me of my car. I picked up a 73 340 4 speed car for a great price. It's Not perfect but an excellent pedigree of the E bodies last stand and it's been a blast to own and drive.

Again it all depends on what you're after.  If you have your heart set on a 71 then these cars may be a good start. Or if your trying to get into the hobby with a good representative car then the 74 is the better choice.

tnljohnson

My advice is to make a list of what you do or dont want. Be aware not everything will be new and it will need some TLC. It doesnt have to be 100% perfect, it does need to make you smile while driving it.

When I bought mine I paid the most I could reasonably afford, knowing that I would have to fix little things here and there. Plan them out. My brakes were worn....did a brake job last year. My gas tank leaks when i fill it, fixing that this year as well as my fuel gauge. After all the fixes it still wont be perfect, but it will be perfect for me.