Main Menu

Semi-new member hailing from Norway (Now with photos)

Started by Ornamental, June 08, 2017, 05:43:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ornamental

Been a member for more than a month now, so perhaps an introduction is in order.

I've got myself a pink 1972 Challenger in 2005, and a gray Challenger in 2013.

One day I will learn to photoshop, and fix that blemish on the pink rear end.
Or maybe I should get it fixed and take another photo instead.  :thinking:

European garages aren't made for American muscle.
If I run out of vaseline, I can't get the car outside.
Should I ever consider getting another classic American car, it will probably be an A body out of necessity.   

The pink one is obviously not stock, as the number of FM3 Challengers from the factory in 1972 were somewhere between zero and none.
Keeping up with the non-factory theme, it's got a RMS Alterktion up front, and the StreetLynx four-link in the back. The engine is halfway stock though, stock block with ditto internals, only changed to MP purple something camshaft, Eddy Air Gap intake, Holley 750 carb, ported steel heads (By Outrageously Vintage who also set up which parts to use), and Dougs Headers with a ceramic coating. Can't remember what the mufflers are, some kind of local muffler shop special deal of the day, sounds good though. Aluminium radiator helps with the weight up front.
XV chassis stiffening kit installed, apart from the engine compartment brace.
Got 3.23 gears, but as the 340 is rev happy, it screams like banshee with PMS and a whiskey and cigar voice.
The paint job...   ...let's talk about the wiring instead.
All wiring apart from the dome light has been replaced, and the yellow wire for the light above the headlight switch.
And maybe the black wire for the ashtray light is old too, need to look into that one day I haven't got anything better to do.

Since I bought another Challenger, the gray 1970 RT 440, I was meant to sell the pink Challenger.  And one day I'll sell it, honestly!
Just not right now.

The previous owner of the gray Challenger before me was a car painter trainee, and he did a nice job with giving it a gray paint.
Why he didn't give the Challenger it's original Plum Crazy colour back is beyond me, but can't argue with taste.
He also installed some aftermarket gauges, and very racy looking seats, Painless wiring, and a  :steamingmad: B&M shifter.
I do not like the B&M shifter. In fact, I dislike it with a intensity usually reserved for mouldy cheese, flat soda, and everyone else's farts.
It's going the same way as the aftermarket gauges, seats, and the Painless wiring, which is out of the car in any direction as long as it's not coming back like it's been buried in Stephen Kings Pet Cemetery. Saying that, the wretched thing probably came from there in the first place.
There were also an external electric pump, fuel filter, and braided rubber hoses which was nice.

However, they were installed in the trunk, just behind the rear seat back, which was not so nice.
The electric pump and the filter have been replaced by a mechanic pump and a filter up front, and the rubber hose by a AMD 3/8 steel line.
In hindsight, I should probably have thought of ordering the fuel return line at the same time...
The original gauges have been restored by Gentry at AutoInstruments Corp, who I like a lot better than the B&M shifter.
The seats have been replaced with Corbeau GTS II seats, not entirely happy with those, love the look, the leather, the side support, the fact that they can be ordered with Challenger seat brackets that almost fits perfectly, but not so happy with the head rests being too far back.
The Pain-"Less" wiring, or PITA wiring as I prefer to think of it as have been replaced with original replacement wiring, everything but the dome light again.

I haven't got the foggiest idea of exactly what's inside the block, but the engine has Indy heads, Indy single plane intake, adjustable rocker arms, MSD 6AL ignition, and a Holley 950 Ultra carb.
It also has a fiberglass hood with a six-pack scoop. It will be replaced with a TA hood, with hinges. Since it's been useful to be able to remove the six-pack hood entirely, I do not dislike it as much as the B&M shifter, which is only marginally more useful than a chocolate tea pot.
It's a AC car, but there wasn't enough left of the original heater box to even identify it as such with 100% certainty, leave alone restoring it, so the lovely people at Mr. Heaterbox were tasked with restoring a core they had squirreled away for the day someone like me would come knocking. And the most excellent restoration they did shall not be tarnished by comparing it to the B&M shifter, it would be like comparing Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden to that annoying little shit from Canada, Justin Bieber. It's simply not done by civilized people.
Kim from Passion4Mopars were asked to perform a little magic, but instead of pulling a rabbit out of a hat, she made a sweet restored windshield wiper motor with correct plating appear in a cardboard box with my name on it. Great woman, may she never have to do work on a B&M shifter.

Future plans involves a change from 3.90 to 4.10 gears, and a Gear Vendor, both already in my possession.
Sealed beams are about to be replaced by H1 lights.
Another near future plan is to replace the alternator with a bigger one that has a internal regulator, and a tune up of the engine by someone who know what he's doing, unlike me.
The roof skin is covered with a carbon fiber cloth, and approximately a metric shit ton of epoxy... The sail panel is also mostly epoxy, so both will be replaced when the finances allow for it.
When that happens, I might as well paint the entire car. Plum Crazy baby...   -This would also be a great time to replace the dome light!
Since improved finances requires the pink Challenger to be sold, it's mostly an emotional struggle. Winning the lottery is plan A, but so far it haven't really worked out.
And of course performing an exorcism to get rid of the B&M shifter and having the proper factory gear shifter back in action again, so I can change gears like a gentleman again.
I may have to sacrifice a virgin to make this happen, which won't be easy to find in Norway. 
The previous owner also liked the clean look in the engine bay, which I agree looks cool, but I prefer to have nice things like heaterbox fittings poking out of the firewall, a windshield wiper fluid tank and horns where they should be, and the heater hose brassy looking thingy. Just a pity the holes were covered up and painted over. Some exploration drilling might be necessary.
The battery should stay in the trunk, it will just have to be relocated to the passenger side, inside a battery box.

Both Challengers have dimmer switches restored by Slotts, so you can be sure that those are alright!

Slotts

Hey Per,  :wave:

Once again,  :welcome: aboard! You will have to forgive Cody right now. He is getting his 30 minutes of sleep right now!  :tired:  I'm sure he will chime in.  ;)

So, you don't like Bowel & Movement shifters??? I like your excellent comparisons!!!  :haha:

I've know Per from TOS for a long time. I am sure you will see a big difference here. Have fun!!!

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

JS29

Spikedog08

Welcome to the site!  Great introduction!  Sounds like two cars you know very well!  Looking forward to the pictures! 

:wave:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

ec_co

:welcome: from Colorado/US. sounds like some great e-bodies. great descriptions, made me laugh a couple times. we need some pics to drool over !!   :bigthumb:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Jay Bee

Cuda Cody

Great introduction @Ornamental   and a warm  :welcome: to you my friend.  You have a great way of telling a story.  I laughed many times reading about your secret love affair with B&M Shifters and Justin Bieber.  And chocolate tea pot is so funny.  Where do you come up with that stuff.   :haha:  :rofl:  :haha:  :rofl:

headejm

:norway: Welcome from Central Illinois! Great story.  :cheers:

Ornamental

Thank you for the great welcome everyone!!  :wave:

Canucks, I'd like you to know that I harbor no ill will against you for Justin Bieber or Celine Dion. Not even Canada can be perfect.
Besides, you've given the world bands like Annihilator, Anvil, Devin Townsend Project, Voivod and The Real McKenzies.

RUNCHARGER

No we're good with you keeping Dion and Bieber, we can send Rush over too.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

CudaMoparRay

Slotts

Really like the pictures, Per !!! Looks like two criminals making their getaway after the robery!!!

BTW, you forgot Nickelback...  :rofl:

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

jimynick

Welcome to the site from  :canada: and may I congratulate you on your cars AND your sense of humour? That was a funny, well written intro and your command of the English language is impressive and makes my own lacking in Norwegian feel appropriate. Good luck with your conversion/re-conversions and thanks for the photos, too.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"