Main Menu

Challenger deck lid for luggage rack

Started by rjhjr, March 15, 2022, 11:11:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rjhjr

Primed deck lid from 70 Challenger for a luggage rack.  Came off a southern car, dipped, zinc phosphate etched and primed.  $500 + shipping from 43221.  See other listing for rack options.

Mr Cuda

I'm going to follow along and see how you do. I asked what my barracuda deck lid with decent luggage rack was worth and got a $3-400 price range for both. Did I say nice? No rust decklid,? And decent chrome?
More challengers are high option,  so maybe more demand for dodge  than plymouth.

rjhjr

Welcome to the show!
It is a very small niche! 
Some people hate them, some think they're classy. 
I think it depends on the car and how it is optioned.
I had one on a highly optioned RT convertible a long time ago but sold it to finish college.
Much later ended up with an RT that had one, hence the ridiculous number I have.
Fairly consistently you could find a rack or two a year either at Nationals or occasionally on E-bay for 2-300 but often needed re chromed and was missing at least some hardware.
Re Chroming a complete rack and hardware was $700 four years ago.  It is probably more now.
Re pops are north of $500 but are thinner stainless steel.
I'll be posting these elsewhere but wanted to start here.
My 2/2 rack listing has the extra re chromed one in it as well as a picture of its twin on the F-4 RT convertible.

Banana

General question on Deck Lids.

My original 1970 has the cutouts for the wing option (no wing on mine). I did buy my 1970 Challenger in 1984, and it had a luggage rack, but looks like a dealer install because my fender tag has no luggage rack code.

Which 1970 deck lids came with the cutouts (was it with R/T's, which mine is) ? Where non-R/T deck lids without cut-outs?

Thanks

BFM_Cuda

Quote from: Mr Cuda on March 15, 2022, 11:31:45 AM
I'm going to follow along and see how you do. I asked what my barracuda deck lid with decent luggage rack was worth and got a $3-400 price range for both. Did I say nice? No rust decklid,? And decent chrome?
More challengers are high option,  so maybe more demand for dodge  than plymouth.

The luggage rack may have something to do with the low price quotes. Most buyers probably wouldn't want it.

I believe an original rust free barracuda deck lid is worth more than the repo stuff, and would gladly pay more for one, if I needed it...   :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: Banana on March 16, 2022, 04:45:51 PM
General question on Deck Lids.

My original 1970 has the cutouts for the wing option (no wing on mine). I did buy my 1970 Challenger in 1984, and it had a luggage rack, but looks like a dealer install because my fender tag has no luggage rack code.

Which 1970 deck lids came with the cutouts (was it with R/T's, which mine is) ? Where non-R/T deck lids without cut-outs?

Thanks

1970's would all share the same deck lid, it's the later years that had no spoiler cut-outs  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration