Main Menu

NOS 1970 Challenger locking gas cap #3404683 *** SOLD***

Started by Ricomondo, March 27, 2022, 01:50:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ricomondo

****SOLD****

NOS 1970 Dodge Challenger locking gas cap for NON N95 cars (NON VENTED)
Correct Briggs & Stratton keys, and the bag/box it came in.

$1K.

Located in NW Indiana

PM here with questions
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

ragtopdodge

7212Mopar

I think our 50 years old cars are achieving antique status base on parts prices.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Ricomondo

70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ricomondo

70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: ragtopdodge on March 28, 2022, 10:19:35 AM
Box worth $900 I guess

I hope not, I have a NOS one without the box. :o

Floyd

@GrandpaKevin - I found a decent solution for replacing the rubber seal (missing on the cap on the right).  I'll dig up the info if you're interested.

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Floyd on March 28, 2022, 04:52:52 PM
@GrandpaKevin - I found a decent solution for replacing the rubber seal (missing on the cap on the right).  I'll dig up the info if you're interested.

The pressure vacuum one is original to my wife's 1971 Challenger.

I did a quick sandblast and paint resto on it and am currently using the seal off an aftermarket locking cap that we were using on the car.
The seal seems to work well but if there's a better solution/seal I'm all ears.

I also found a guy who makes a perfect replacement for the often broken internal part on these caps.   
The wife's cap was broken but now works perfectly with the new part.
The NOS one works perfectly but I had another internal part made as it seems stronger and works even better than the original part.

Thanks.

Floyd

@GrandpaKevin  I too found a donor.  You can harvest the gasket off NAPA Part #703-1110 Locking Fuel Cap for about $11.

JH27N0B

Quote from: Ricomondo on March 28, 2022, 03:50:53 PM
Box worth $900 I guess

You guessed wrong......
He's not the brightest star in the galaxy Ray.  :haha:
Question is, did the one you sold actually work?  I got an NOS one for my car I bought about 15 years ago when some guy in Mexico was listing them regularly on eBay for a month or two like he had a case of them stashed away(at the time I got one for about the cheapest of any he auctioned and it was $400 if I recall, several bid up to the $600 range).
Mine won't lock so I get scared about having it on the car when it's displayed fearing someone will steal it.  :drunk:
I know there is a internal ring that breaks on these and someone makes a replacement part.  I haven't disassembled mine to see if it's broken but the cap was NOS.  I recall hearing the "NOS ones the lock never worked".
Interestingly, My T/A had it's original cap on it when I bought it in '78, and when I got the keys for it 20 years later (true story!) I found the cap locked just fine with them.

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: JH27N0B on March 29, 2022, 06:13:25 AM
Quote from: Ricomondo on March 28, 2022, 03:50:53 PM
Box worth $900 I guess

You guessed wrong......
He's not the brightest star in the galaxy Ray.  :haha:
Question is, did the one you sold actually work?  I got an NOS one for my car I bought about 15 years ago when some guy in Mexico was listing them regularly on eBay for a month or two like he had a case of them stashed away(at the time I got one for about the cheapest of any he auctioned and it was $400 if I recall, several bid up to the $600 range).
Mine won't lock so I get scared about having it on the car when it's displayed fearing someone will steal it.  :drunk:
I know there is a internal ring that breaks on these and someone makes a replacement part.  I haven't disassembled mine to see if it's broken but the cap was NOS.  I recall hearing the "NOS ones the lock never worked".
Interestingly, My T/A had it's original cap on it when I bought it in '78, and when I got the keys for it 20 years later (true story!) I found the cap locked just fine with them.

99% chance the tab is broken off the washer inside.
Take the cover off.
First pic is a broken washer with tab missing.
Second pic is how it is supposed to look with the tab in place.

EV2RTSE

It's been a while since I had mine apart but IIRC if the washer is installed with the tab in the wrong position it will also result in a cap that won't lock.