Main Menu

SOLD-1970 E-body passenger mirror

Started by CudaJim, December 22, 2021, 11:15:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaJim

@MKA
1970 One year only passenger side e-body mirror, original B-7? paint, assembly-line part with mirror dated Sept 69, on the shelf a long time. Small ding in corner of base, otherwise straight and tight.  Part in Nebraska, $225 plus shipping.  Already sold to MKA-thanks-posted for any feedback/trade count.

70vert

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
This looks like what I've seen called the "racing" mirror, that what it is and is that what you mean by '70 only?
Is it only the glass that is date coded? Or should I find a date code on my mirror body also?

CudaJim

@70vert
This was the passenger side manual 'racing' mirror in body color for the 1970 model year e-bodies that came with the extra cost G36 mirror option.

It's for 1970 model year e-bodies only by part number of course, but can also be spotted by its shape and small mirror size and because it has the e-body base (I think the a-bodies had a similar optional racing mirror 'head' but a different mounting base).  The 1971-1974 model year e-bodies used the larger, different mirror shape.  Not sure why they changed it after 1970, but from personal experience the 1970 mirrors are small and difficult to use, and I thought I recall reading there were complaints about the small size of the mirror, plus I believe the sharp rear edge of the '70 passenger mirror made them catch on things easier and get broken off.  Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

The date code is only on original mirror glass (or on reproductions that have a date code added), and not anywhere on the mirror body, to my knowledge.

These originals were hard to find and worth quite a bit more money before the good repros came out.

I hope this helps answer your questions, comments/corrections from others welcome!  Jim

70vert

@CudaJim
Yes thanks. My 70 Challenger has this smaller racing mirror, and I originally thought it was an incorrect repro but then found out it was in fact real/correct. My real interest is in possibly selling a "spare" one as well as a set of chrome driver & passenger mirrors (not racing of course). Thanks again, I'll have to check the glass tomorrow in daylight to see if they are original and have a date code.

I agree they are pretty useless, but maybe more aerodynamic.  :dunno:

70vert

Thanks @Jay Bee  that pic is excellent. Confirms my car has the correct mirrors & what my "spares" are!