Main Menu

Textured Rear Window Molding

Started by Aar1064, December 18, 2018, 09:23:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

It could very likely be a factory mistake.

It's one of those choices you have to make during a restoration....Do I correct the mistake, so sitting on the show field the car appears "correct" or do I leave it and spend the rest of my life explaining why the car is "wrong" :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Aar1064

Quote from: anlauto on January 15, 2019, 03:41:11 AM
It could very likely be a factory mistake.

It's one of those choices you have to make during a restoration....Do I correct the mistake, so sitting on the show field the car appears "correct" or do I leave it and spend the rest of my life explaining why the car is "wrong" :thinking:

Exactly. I've gone back and forth ever since I've had the car. Thought it was over and mind was made up to just sell them. Now I'm inclined to just install them.  :looney: :looney:

anlauto

It's exactly like the studs/nuts issue holding on the fenders....for some reason the ''rule of thumb" is that all AAR's and T/A's got them and your car was wrong if you just had bolts......but the original paint AAR I'm working on right now....never been apart....and it has the standard bolts like every other car... :dunno: :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JS29

My 70 gran coupe with a vinyl top has standard moldings, but then again after i got the car i discovered the car was worked on by chimpanzees!    :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Don't worry, Chrysler had some chimpanzees working on the line back then too.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 15, 2019, 07:07:04 AM
Don't worry, Chrysler had some chimpanzees working on the line back then too.
Probably still have a few....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Fastmark

Just to add to the confusion on this trim, I have a car that had them on when I got it. It was a cuda with a white vinyl top and no louvers. The tag was stolen so I can't confirm what was factory. They were always white not just painted over black. Idk.

bentpshrods

My cuda is an original louvered car with a vinyl top. Have the fender tags and the broadcast sheet with A67,J68 . Has the standard non textured trim on it. I have owned the car for 42 years so I'm pretty sure they are original.

6bblgt

Quote from: bentpshrods on January 19, 2019, 10:35:57 AM
   My cuda is an original louvered car with a vinyl top. Have the fender tags and the broadcast sheet with A67,J68 . Has the standard non textured trim on it. I have owned the car for 42 years so I'm pretty sure they are original.

what's the car's SPD & what plant?

anyone with an AAR w/factory louvers & textured moulding believed to be correct?

bentpshrods

It has a SPD of 421--out of the Hamtramck (sp) plant. 

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Jay Bee

421 = 42nd week of 1971 

I guessed wrong - see Reply #29 by 6bblgt

Aar1064

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 19, 2019, 12:38:19 PM
Quote from: bentpshrods on January 19, 2019, 10:35:57 AM

what's the car's SPD & what plant?

anyone with an AAR w/factory louvers & textured moulding believed to be correct?

:popcorn:

6bblgt