Main Menu

1970 Door latches

Started by SFEBODY, January 14, 2022, 06:48:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

SFEBODY

Hello all, as my project is in body and paint, and they tell me there is too much slop in the drivers side door latch. Anyone have a. NOS or really good rebuilt one? PM me with what. you have and what you want for it to 90302 Los Angeles

Brian

anlauto

I've never heard of "slop" in the latch, it's usually in the striker. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

If they have the striker too far in, it will not close on the second latch and it will have the slop you are talking about.  Locks have two catch points.

anlauto

Ohhhhh...in and out slop....that makes sense, I was thinking up and down..... :iagree: Sounds like the door is not fully latched.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Dakota

Can't help you on the part but there are some unique aspects to the 70 door latch that may look like a bad part but isn't (I had to learn this the hard way).   See this thread:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/seo/21271/msg261882#msg261882

SFEBODY

Thanks Dakota, I was not believing the shop so went there this week, and they are right, the. striker is. set and the door latches and body lines are fine, but if you grab the door, you can pull it out about 3/16 inch of slop. I really think. the latch has a worn spot, so I am. on the hunt for a drives side latch.  I hope someone has one in better shape.

anlauto

I believe it's not latched properly. The striker needs to move outward to allow the latch to fully engage on the "second catch" 

Is it Mopar guys working on it ? 

JS29

Don't forget the door seals make a difference on the in and out play.  :alan2cents:

SFEBODY

BTT,

:unitedstates:

no body selling any Latches?

RJChallenger

I just picked up a set of gutted 70 doors, I have almost all the inner parts, to make a complete spare door. But it sounds like you need the latch more than me. LOL.  My spare latch  operates thru the 2 stages with your finger. It does have the damage that is caused by badly worn door hinges.( as seen in the picture) if your door doesn't have this damage in the latch area , you cannot see this damage when the latch is installed. I hope you find one in better condition, but if you don't

SFEBODY

Yes it is better than I have, what do you want shipped to 90302, Inglewood, California.