Main Menu

A/C Discharge tube/muffler/hose 3441523

Started by Duodec, September 02, 2024, 11:30:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

Looking for this hose, runs from the front of the compressor, turns to a muffler over the drivers side of the compressor, then rubber hose, then back to tube to the drivers side and then turns to the front and connects to the condenser. 

Same part used on numerous small block E and B bodies according to the parts book (at least '70 -'71, not sure about later years).

New, used (as long as complete and the metal parts in good shape so it can be rebuilt), even aftermarket if such were ever available.  I already have to have the suction hose (compressor to evaporator) rebuilt but the discharge hose has been missing since I got the car.  This is not a sterling restoration, I just want my A/C to work again.

Thanks!

blown motor

@Duodec Is it one of these? These are from a 74.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Duodec

@blown motor
thanks for responding.  None of those are correct or close, but the middle one is probably the equivalent hose for the later year.  I don't think I could get it to work.

I will post an FSM illustration of the one I need; I could not find a clean picture online.

Thanks!

Duodec

Its in the lower pic, marked as the "Discharge line" running from the front of the compressor to the discharge muffler by the compressor's drivers side head, then a section of rubber hose loops to the fender, connects back to steel tube to the condenser.

Duodec

If anyone out there has a clear picture of the A/C discharge hose showing the muffler and the entire hose running from compressor to condenser driver's side fitting on a small block 1970 or 71 E or B body car, can you post it? 

I've found a couple beautiful shots of big blocks, and they are pretty close to what a small block needs but they are shorter overall (the rubber for certain, I'm less sure of the two metal tube sections on either end; apparently the compressor on big blocks is offset more to the drivers side) and the bends in the outlet of the muffler where it runs over the engine near the air cleaner snorkel.

Do the entrance and exit of the tube from the muffler go into the center of the muffler ends?  Or is it offset on one side or the other?

My car came without that hose.  Thanks!

Yellow71Cuda

October of 1970 build date 1971 340 Cuda with A/C. Offset on both ends of the muffler.  :cheers:

Duodec

Thank you!  I was clearly mistaken (unless 70 and 71 are that much different from the factory).  I haven't been able to find the loose muffler (aftermarket) that I bought in the '80s and I'm trying multiple means of getting this hose, so descriptions are important.

Duodec

Found the discharge muffler I bought probably in the mid 1980s.  Don't know who made it but its definitely aftermarket.  Don't know why I bought it instead of a complete hose unless complete wasn't available even then, and don't know why I didn't pick up a complete hose from the wrecking yards because there were definitely 318 B-bodies in the pick-a-parts at the time.  A bad oversight, but then not taking every damn thing I could find off those cars was also a failure on my part in hindsight.

The pic shows a difference from @Yellow71Cuda 's picture; the outlet doesn't come out the back, then bend down before bending out, and the position it exits the muffler is at a wider angle than the aforementioned pic.  I think it would work; maybe the aftermarket maker had already made a universal replacement that would work across more applications.  I test fitted it to the compressor and it fits like the picture except for the output angle of departure.

If I can find the section of steel tube that connects to the condenser, I should be able to make up a working hose using this piece.  So looking for one of those if a complete hose is just not available.

Anyone performed an A/C removal on their small or big block E or B body and still has a box of removed parts?  Or converted to a Sanden compressor and still has the old RV2 discharge hose?  I'm looking for you.