Main Menu

Body Side Moldings Fastener Parts Needed

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 25, 2019, 02:26:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Does anyone have or know where aftermarket body side molding fasteners could be obtained? It's for a 70 Challenger if that matters.  Any information appreciated. Of course I'm always looking for extra moldings as well, but for now I'll stick to the fastener issue. Thanks in advance.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

MoparDave

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 25, 2019, 02:26:08 PM
Does anyone have or know where aftermarket body side molding fasteners could be obtained? It's for a 70 Challenger if that matters.  Any information appreciated. Of course I'm always looking for extra moldings as well, but for now I'll stick to the fastener issue. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

lots going on here.  I did find after looking up the 6002922 retainer. let me know how many you need.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

anlauto

They make aftermarket body side moldings clips for a Challenger ? Don't think I've seen them yet  :thinking: I thought the body side moldings were screwed on ? I once removed a set from a 72 Challenger.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Sorry, @MoparDave, I got your email today and was just trying to keep moving. These are only a big deal if I know I'm going back on with them. I'm relieved you have them! After finding that this "could be" the only quad green F8 RT with the V5F side moldings, I'm pretty committed to molding installation. As to how many, I'd only be guessing. I'm going to use your picture to sort through the retainers the previous owner was good about saving and that I have neatly arranged in drawers. He had meticulously welded shut the original holes, so I want to have the uparts in hand before drilling and body/paint work. If there isn't a kit, I'm at the mercy of other members as to how many. I also believe there are two threaded studs on each of the 6 moldings, with one going on each end. Going by your parts catalogue pic, doesn't it look like I'd need 7 and 2 threaded studs per each of the 6 moldings? Im headed out to do some digging in my shop and on the car and I'll know more when we can firm up the other parts order. I'll respond with my findings in a reply to your earlier email. Thank you!

Kevin Cassidy

anlauto

Kevin
I count 9 holes on each fender, 9 holes on each door, and 11 holes of each quarter panel. That's the total "number of holes" so if there are some threaded studs on the trim as well you'll need to account for that.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparDave

all good kevin. I looked in the Mitchell Collison book earlier when I sent that email. Then after seeing your post. I was already in the parts book. Duhh Moment.
but to sum what all is listed
42-6002922 retainer
4 -6000709 retainer
2 -9420897 nut
2 -6024152 nut
4 -6026523 nut
4 -6002162 retainer
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

7E-Bodies

@anlauto, I swear I'm gonna need to put your name in the credits on this car.  You continue to be a huge help on these F8 mysteries. Thank you again.

Kevin

7E-Bodies

Ok @MoparDave , I'd say add the body side molding clip set to my current order and just email me as to a time when you aren't pulling your hair out. You da man.

Kevin

anlauto

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on July 25, 2019, 03:26:41 PM
They make aftermarket body side moldings clips for a Challenger ? Don't think I've seen them yet  :thinking: I thought the body side moldings were screwed on ? I once removed a set from a 72 Challenger.

Years ago I had a 70 Challenger coded for the side molding & the trim was still there.. I removed it.. It was simply pop riveted to the panels... I welded up the holes & never missed the trim...

7E-Bodies

But of course, @anlauto, I can't issue to you the gold threaded Super Hero cape until you find me a set of NOS V5F body side moldings  :yes:  Meanwhile the plan is to heat gun the vinyl inserts off of the black/blue ones I have and paint them with a flexible based closely matched paint and re apply them to the moldings. If I could only find even one junk piece to peel back for a color match  :tired:

7E-Bodies

@1 Wild R/T what color were they? Any chance you'd still have them? I can't believe how many people scrapped them. I even had a guy say he'd seen a set of the green I'm after, still NOS in the wrappers at a swap meet. Gah!!!  ::)

anlauto

Kevin, do you have a picture of the trim you have, like the back side of the aluminum part ? I want to see how these clips work, because I'm with Wild on this one...the only body side moldings I've ever worked with were flat on the backside and attached with screws....mind you, I've never worked with 1970 trim only 72-73. :thinking:

anlauto

I restored this Scamp..looong before Scamp's were cool....oh wait a minute...Scamps are still NOT cool... 8) :haha:

But the factory trim on this car was an aluminum strip that screwed to the car and then the vinyl insert pushed in after....

I'm guessing what you're after is totally different ?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on July 25, 2019, 04:50:57 PM
@1 Wild R/T what color were they? Any chance you'd still have them? I can't believe how many people scrapped them. I even had a guy say he'd seen a set of the green I'm after, still NOS in the wrappers at a swap meet. Gah!!!  ::)

I scrapped them back around 1990...