Main Menu

Full 3" brushed 15" trim rings

Started by gygeneral, November 19, 2017, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gygeneral

I would like to trade four 3" polished trim rings for 4 brushed ones. The ones I have were purchased from Mopar 15 yrs ago and are in excellent condition, no dings, scratches etc. Would like to trade for ones in similar conditions. You can email me at nrmailhot@gmail.com or pm me here. thanks

Cuda Cody

If you have real Mopar trim rings, they are pretty rare.  I've not found a reproduction ring that even comes close to the look of the original Mopar ones.   I know you are looking to trade.  Sorry I don't have a set to trade.... good luck and hope you find the set you need.

gygeneral

Thanks Cody, my preference would be to trade, my other option would be to brush these somehow but I'm afraid to screw them up while trying.

Crocha617

You should sell those they will bring a fortune. I wouldn't try and mess with the finish on them. I believe I still have one 15" NOS brushed ring. New in the box I need to check the part number though.

anlauto

I've brushed them before....Find a shop that will let you use their brake lathe....mount a rotor on the lathe, then a rim and your trim ring...then go at it with sandpaper, holding it nice and straight as the rim turns....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

The correct 3" rings weren't available still through Mopar in the full 3" since the 70's, when they changed the part to be less than 3".
You'd have to have been winning the lottery lucky to find any early ones through a dealer 15 years ago. 
11 or 12 years ago is when Mopar came out with the reissues that were only available a couple years, and they were the same part numbers except had a P at the beginning of the PN, you sure you don't have the reissues?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 20, 2017, 10:07:43 AM
The correct 3" rings weren't available still through Mopar in the full 3" since the 70's, when they changed the part to be less than 3".
You'd have to have been winning the lottery lucky to find any early ones through a dealer 15 years ago. 
11 or 12 years ago is when Mopar came out with the reissues that were only available a couple years, and they were the same part numbers except had a P at the beginning of the PN, you sure you don't have the reissues?

Exactly... Post some pictures, front & back....

gygeneral

I will pull them and add some pics, I'm sure they are 3". Had them on my Challenger, no gaps at the rim.

gygeneral

Quote from: anlauto on November 20, 2017, 09:54:47 AM
I've brushed them before....Find a shop that will let you use their brake lathe....mount a rotor on the lathe, then a rim and your trim ring...then go at it with sandpaper, holding it nice and straight as the rim turns....

Hey Alan, do you remember what grit you used?? I was thinking those 3M pads would do also. BUT I'm still afraid to do them, I guess I could parctice on an old one first.

fc7cuda

I have some brushed ones if you wanna swap pics toward a trade?   :yes:

PM sent

anlauto

Quote from: gygeneral on November 20, 2017, 02:03:06 PM
Quote from: anlauto on November 20, 2017, 09:54:47 AM

Hey Alan, do you remember what grit you used?? I was thinking those 3M pads would do also. BUT I'm still afraid to do them, I guess I could parctice on an old one first.

Don't remember the exact grit, but I remember it took a lot more coarse paper then I thought.....I started with scotch-brite #M pads and they hardly made a difference....went corser then finished up with the pads... 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration