Main Menu

No longer needed: 1970 one year hood safety latch

Started by Odin, December 24, 2019, 11:02:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

I'm looking for a hood safety latch for a 1970 Challenger bulge hood. The hood came on my car when I bought it and it has a safety latch but nothing to keep the long rod/handle from falling into the grill when closing the hood. I bought a replacement with the retaining bracket from eBay a few months ago while I restore the car. I remounted the hood a few days ago and started to install the replacement safety latch only to find out there is no place on my hood to mount the retaining bracket of the latch rod. My car is a 71 and there is a 73 also in the shop so I compared my hood to it. The hood had a place specifically moles into it for the bracket unlike mine. That's when I learned I must have a 1970 hood. Now I have two 1971-1974 safety latches I can't use and need a 1970 version with no latch rod.

The first pic is what I have. The second pic is what I need.

1 Wild R/T

If your car is a 71 & you are using a 71 grill you can not use a 70 latch.... Find a way to add the screw holes for the 71 bracket....

fc7cuda

Odin

Quote from: fc7cuda on December 25, 2019, 10:09:37 AM
What's the date on the 71 latch?

If I remember correctly, the date on the one that was on the car is 2020 or close to it.  The newer one I bout with the bracket in late 1971 somewhere in the 3xx1 range.  The car was built 1/28/1971.  I don't see any reason why the 1970 version wouldn't work with the grill I'm using.  It looks like both hooks are the same size.  What causes you guys to think it wouldn't work?

dodj

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if your car is a '71, use the '71 latch. Why look for a big $$ '70 only latch?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on December 25, 2019, 06:11:10 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding, but if your car is a '71, use the '71 latch. Why look for a big $$ '70 only latch?

Because he has a "1970 only" hood on the car which does not have the provisions for the 1971 style hook.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YYZ

The '70 only latch will interfere with the '71 grille. 

The '70 grille 'eggcrate' is recessed quite a bit from the bumper and there is open space to access the latch.

I had a '70 hood (not original) on my '71 340 hardtop, using the '71 latches.  The hook part bolts in the same place, you can use two small sheet metal screws to attach the bracket for the release handle

Odin

Quote from: YYZ on December 25, 2019, 07:38:23 PM
The '70 only latch will interfere with the '71 grille. 

The '70 grille 'eggcrate' is recessed quite a bit from the bumper and there is open space to access the latch.

I had a '70 hood (not original) on my '71 340 hardtop, using the '71 latches.  The hook part bolts in the same place, you can use two small sheet metal screws to attach the bracket for the release handle

I was unaware the 70 handle would not be accessible under the closed hood with a 71 grill. However you are incorrect about the 71 latch rod mounting in the same place regardless of the hood. The 70 hood is relatively flat across the underside but in contrast the 71 and later hoods have a raised section where the latch rod bracket mounts. As is, my bracket will not even reach the underside of the hood so I can't just throw two screws in to hold it. Additionally, those screws would end up coming out through the top of the hood if I were able to reach that part of the underside metal.

I may have to fabricate a bracket that is much larger than the original OE one from 71.  Anything is better than the coat hanger in there right now

YYZ

It has been 20 years since I owned that vehicle, however, it did have a '70 R/T hood without the crush zones and the 71-4 wire-handle release.

As E-bodies were not built with aerospace level tolerances, you probably have a few options on how you would approach it.

If your current hood does not have the rib where you can mount the bracket (sounds like a very early stamping), IMHO it would still be easiest to jury-rig something for the metal guide that holds the wire.  Shorter screws, rivnuts, fabricate a new bracket, use automotive panel adhesive, etc. 

YMMV

Brads70

Quote from: TelisSE440 on December 25, 2019, 01:29:39 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-HOOD-SECONDARY-LATCH-SAFETY-RELEASE-70-CHALLENGER-R-T-MOPAR-DATED-0330/383214146867?epid=1223399982&hash=item593957d533:g:VK4AAOSw3Fpdppw0

Now that's an expensive hood latch

When i bought mine back in 2015, i remember i paid about 110$  :bricks:

Sheesh. I gave away for free mine when I got the T/A hood. Can't say I have many fond memories of the " meat hook"    LOL

JS29

Meat hook! Been there, felt that.   :yes:

TelisSE440

I have -fortunately- never felt the "meat hook" Mother nature protects me... (5 foot 8 inches)

71vert340

Odin, can you manufacture a bracket and use a steel panel adhesive to attach it to the bottom of the hood? Then screw the 71 release handle bracket to it.