Main Menu

Wanted 70 Challenger parts

Started by 340Challman, March 03, 2020, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

The oval six pack set up is certainly worth some dough these days. I'd love to have a six pack set up someday (340 or 440) but you can go broke buying all the pieces separately. If I ever own one, I'll have to pick up a restored car with everything intact.

340Challman

I have three original date correct carbs plus a new center that has less than 1000 miles on it. The outers need the throttle plates re-bushed. My intake is original Chrysler, not aftermarket. The air cleaner is most likely off of a 440 car because it is not the T/A or the AAR base.
Kevin

6bblgt

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 25, 2020, 07:59:10 PM
$500 has become the swap meet price. On eBay, you can spend up to $700.

I'll disagree on this one - it seems perception of parts prices always move up - once you hear of something selling for $300 the next one available is $350 & the madness goes on from there
2 years ago at Carlisle there were at least 2 dozen 1970-'71 340 air cleaners for sale all $300 & up, didn't see a single one sell or anyone carrying one

today most of the eBay listings are "professional" part sellers that follow the price always moves up line of thinking - yes, there are plenty of listings north of $500 - but what sells?

$478 total with shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1971-DODGE-CHALLENGER-DART-PLYMOUTH-CUDA-DEMON-ROADRUNNER-340-AIR-CLEANER-/193467472175?hash=item2d0b8f592f%3Ag%3A7AsAAOSwO7dev2uG&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=HFYZrWWYnTn8ICLdGdGtvFMUbS0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
listing costs plus $47+ in final value fees + about $15 for PayPal

$525 total with shipping  https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-340-UNSILENCED-AIR-CLEANER-1970-1971-CUDA-CHALLENGER-DUSTER-DEMON-DART-/274330512096?hash=item3fdf5f6ae0%3Ag%3ARsQAAOSw0i9ejQu2&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=HFYZrWWYnTn8ICLdGdGtvFMUbS0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
listing costs plus $52+ in final value fees + about $15 for PayPal

$538 total with shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-340-1970-71-HP-air-cleaner-restored-nice-hard-to-find-duster-demon-cuda-/333550980092?hash=item4da9300bfc%3Ag%3AteAAAOSwETBect83&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=HFYZrWWYnTn8ICLdGdGtvFMUbS0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
listing costs plus $53+ in final value fees + about $15 for PayPal

340Challman

OK guys, have to add one here. Looking for an 8 3/4 housing that is useable. Nothing modified. Don't need carrier either. Any out there? Thanks.
Kevin

340Challman

Ok, I'm frustrated to inform you guys that I now need all of the 3 speed wiper linkage. Mine is all 2 speed.  :crying:  My car was probably an original 2 speed car and somebody who probably didn't know any better put the motor and switch in. Bummer. I now have a completely restored 3 speed wiper motor so my preference would be to try and source the 3 speed linkage. I hope these are not made out of unobtanium. Help. :whiteflag: :soshelp:
Kevin

Jay Bee

The 2822289 crank is readily available on eBay. The only other part you'll need is the 2822293 linkage. There was a guy converting the 2speed 2822292's into the three speed version. I think it was Sylvain Gaucher but don't quote me on that. Your situation is not impossible.

340Challman

Quote from: Jay Bee on September 19, 2020, 03:42:44 PM
The 2822289 crank is readily available on eBay. The only other part you'll need is the 2822293 linkage. There was a guy converting the 2speed 2822292's into the three speed version. I think it was Sylvain Gaucher but don't quote me on that. Your situation is not impossible.

I sent a message to Sylvain and I believe you are correct. He looks to be very into the wiper mechanisms. See what he says.  :fingerscrossed:
There were others on the bay and from looking at their pricing, it appears that they feel it is almost unobtanium.

Oh well. Just another misguided modification on a fifty year old car. I'll get it sorted.  :burnout:
Kevin

Jay Bee

Just curious, you do have the correct variable speed motor (3431077) and correct variable speed wiper switch (2770380) for your 1970 Challenger.

340Challman

Jay Bee, I do have the motor and switch. It is kind of confusing because if I am understanding correctly, all rallye dashes have 3 speed/variable wipers. Only standard dash has the 2 speed wiper. Granted someone could have changed my dash, but when I bought the car 30 years ago, it had the rallye dash with proper switch and the 3 speed motor. Of course the wipers have never worked the entire time I have owned the car. I always just kept the windshield slobbered with Rain-ex. I will probably continue to do just that, but since the car is being restored, it seems ridiculous to not get the wipers functioning. So I now have a fully restored correct 3 speed motor, correct switch and incorrect linkage.  ::)
Kevin

Jay Bee

Yeah, you sure have quite the mystery there. I switched to a rallye dash then later realized needed the variable setup to be correct. You know how many times I heard, "...never seen a 2 speed wiper motor on a rallye dash car before". It took a while but I did track down all the correct parts without going broke.

JS29

Question! Would a three speed linkage from a seventy three E-body be the same as the seventy variable speed linkage?

340Challman

:))   I would have done the same thing. Totally oblivious to what else may be different. If I can't see it, it must be the same.  :haha:
Fortunately there is this forum full of people who probably know more than the original people that designed and built the car. I rely on them to save me from myself.  :grouphug:
Kevin

340Challman

Quote from: JS29 on September 20, 2020, 10:47:37 AM
Question! Would a three speed linkage from a seventy three E-body be the same as the seventy variable speed linkage?

I was curious about that myself. They seem to be more plentiful and less expensive.  :dunno: The gurus will know.
Kevin

Jay Bee

Well, I'm definitely no Guru but if I was going to chance using a '73 link, I'd want the matching '73 crank. It's hard to tell from the pics if the bushings are in the same place. 1st pic is 1970 , 2nd pic is not.

340Challman

@Jay Bee  I was thinking  :thinking: if they are able to convert the 2 speed drive link to a 3 speed link, there can't be any substantial shape differences. there could only be length differences. What do you think? Do you still have your 2 speed link that you could compare to the 3 speed?
Kevin