Main Menu

WTB - T/A - AAR master cylinder casting 2229171

Started by Ricomondo, November 25, 2021, 08:41:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ricomondo

WTB: 1970 TA/AAR master cylinder part # 2944453 with casting #2229171.
Preferably with the correct cap as pictured too.
Not looking for a rusty hunk of junk - Yes, I know they can be rebuilt, but I'd like to start out with a decent unit.

PM here on the board.

** photo cred Hamtramck Historical

Thanks!
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Ricomondo

70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

JH27N0B

I remember the good old days when hardly anyone except for a few of the gurus who kept the info close to the vest, knew what these were, and I'd find NOS ones in Bendix boxes on eBay for $49.99 buy it now.
Then later I'd see someone at a car show with a nice restored AAR or TA but an aftermarket NAPA drum brake master cylinder installed on it, tell them I had a correct MC for their car I'd sell them for $175, and they'd tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and to go pound sand.
Then some dolt from IL had the audacity to go spill the beans on correct MCs in a Mopar Action article and now they cost $1000 if you can even find one for sale.  :bricks: :bigmoney:

Fastmark

Ha. I don't know the dolt you are talking about but it is amazing how much we learn over the years. How many time have I said," if I'd only known". I remember going to the dealership when a good buddy of mine was the parts manager. He would fix me up with deals mopar was liquidating in the 80's I bought three of those for $25 each. NOS, in the box. I probably could have bought as many as I wanted back then.

Ricomondo

Quote from: Fastmark on December 12, 2021, 03:39:23 AM
Ha. I don't know the dolt you are talking about but it is amazing how much we learn over the years. How many time have I said," if I'd only known". I remember going to the dealership when a good buddy of mine was the parts manager. He would fix me up with deals mopar was liquidating in the 80's I bought three of those for $25 each. NOS, in the box. I probably could have bought as many as I wanted back then.

@Fastmark , LOl, the "dork" is @JH27N0B (Brad) he's being a bit self-deprecating...lol. I've known Brad quite a long time. He was the author of the article. He's quite the brake expert in my opinion.
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

JH27N0B

That was an interesting experience and a claim to fame for me.
I was an engineer for an aftermarket brake company and in 2004 Rick Ehrenberg talked to me seeking some brake info.  I mentioned my frustration with seeing so many nice restorations at shows and in reference restoration car features in his mag with incorrect and even often aftermarket MCs on them and asked why they don't do an article on correct factory Mopar master cylinders?
He said if you know so much about it, why don't you write one?  If it's any good, we'll publish it and even pay you!
So I did.  My parents had both worked as editors and helped me proofread etc, and I took pictures of NOS samples I'd gathered. Mopar Action published the article almost unchanged from what I submitted in the April 2005 issue!
Of course people then came out of the woodwork chasing me trying to find correct master cylinders and my parts no one wanted before then got bought up.  I was able to trade for a few rare parts for my T/A like an NOS gas tank, NOS front shocks and a NOS muffler which was cool.
And now most every well restored Mopar muscle car I see has a correct master cylinder on it. :bigthumb:
I never was able to find another good deal on a 9171 after the article came out though.

cuda hunter

As I am basically a new collector/driver compared to most all of yal, I can say I sure appreciate everyone's contributions as I have so much to learn. 

Bump for finding a correct master cylinder for Ricomondo
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Fastmark

So Brad is Mastershake340 on the Moparts board, yes?

mccannix

Quote from: Fastmark on December 13, 2021, 03:27:20 AM
So Brad is Mastershake340 on the Moparts board, yes?
yes....and for those interested here's the very informative article that Brad wrote
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/MoparAction/Master_Cylinder.pdf

cuda hunter

Wow!  That is quite the article.  Thanks for posting. 

Bump for the MC hunt.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee