Main Menu

Master cylinder- seals only or resleeve? casting 2229171

Started by benguin, October 03, 2021, 12:09:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

benguin

Hi all, I've got a 1970 correct casting number MC for my 70 'cuda that has been "inactive" for 20ish years and had lost some fluid through the back of the master cylinder.

On removal and inspection, it did have some issues with coagulating substances, and clear signs of fluid loss through the end of the piston.

I do have a set of seals for this master cylinder, but I see some erosion on the bottom of the cylinder in the casting, which is visible in the photo and rough to the touch.  The existing seals are surprisingly still pliable.  You can see the corrosion on the front piston, which I have not cleaned off.

Looking for experiences with either having the Brake & Equipment machine shop in MN do a resleeve, or popping in the new seals and giving it a try, or finally putting this one on the shelf and getting one of the current production master cylinders that isn't correct but seems to be the current trend.

Pros and cons?  I'm not going for concours, but do like things to either be correct or at least excusable for modern use.

Thanks for your ideas!
  Ben

VCODE

I have restored a lot of 171 masters. I would send it to Brake Equip for the sleeve at least. Talk to Brad he is great with these. If you are not comfortable doing it he sure can. Have him put the brass bushings in for you. He has all the parts and pistons if needed.
Bob

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

resq302

resq302