Main Menu

1971 production by color

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 07, 2019, 06:39:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I have 1 of 2 broadcast sheets he let me have when we signed a deal and I left a deposit. I can only make out so many entries because of the factory scribbles but once I have both sheets to compare against each other, I should have a good idea of exactly what it had. I couldn't make out the J55 until you pointed it out.

The only thing left is W11 which I think is the ugly hub caps.

anlauto

..They're not ugly....they're "deluxe" 8) yea baby....

Here's a trick my buddy did with his 74 Cuda coded for deluxe hub caps....He ran Magnums on the car and every once and awhile he'd pop off the trim rings and put on the correct hub caps, they fit right over the magnum centers.... :bradsthumb: If someone didn't like the hub caps, he could switch back to Magnums in about two minutes :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

here's a picture of the OPTIONAL 1971 W11 "deluxe wheel cover" that your car came with

I couldn't find a picture with them on a car ..... "if" you put them on your car, it would truly be unique  :bravo:

it also had "tiny" 7.35 14 (~185/78/14) OPTIONAL white sidewall tires (1 stripe or 2 ??)  :thinking: good luck there, but it definitely needs something larger  :yes:

70 Challenger Lover

That's an interesting trick about covering the road wheel with the hub cap. Road wheels look good so I can't see wanting to cover them but you never know. I did find one picture of a car with them on, only one other picture.

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 07, 2019, 01:45:27 PM
here's a picture of the OPTIONAL 1971 W11 "deluxe wheel cover" that your car came with

I couldn't find a picture with them on a car ..... "if" you put them on your car, it would truly be unique  :bravo:

it also had "tiny" 7.35 14 (~185/78/14) OPTIONAL white sidewall tires (1 stripe or 2 ??)  :thinking: good luck there, but it definitely needs something larger  :yes:

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I was told 78 series were two stripe and 70 series single....Bill Rolik would be the one to ask..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

The car I was thinking about

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on May 07, 2019, 02:03:38 PM
The car I was thinking about

Those hub caps look so out of place on that Cuda!

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on May 07, 2019, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on May 07, 2019, 01:45:27 PM

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I was told 78 series were two stripe and 70 series single....Bill Rolik would be the one to ask..

:iagree: but the 7.35 (probably an 80-seris tire) could be another  :notsure: but I emailed Bill

7.35-14 wsw = ??
E78-14 wsw = 2-stripe
F78-14 wsw = 2-stripe
F70-14 wsw = 1-stripe

70 Challenger Lover

Normally don't like white walls but the two white stripes looks really cool!

1ownr

I think this is the original T34 tire.

judy

6bblgt

Bill got back to me:
Excellent question.

I would tend to lean towards a single white on that size. It probably would have been a Power Cushion Polyglas, 83 series.

closer size-wise to 185/83/14  :rubeyes:

6bblgt

I think ROAD wheels look great with the twin white stripes:
G78-14 (T46) on a '71 Charger R/T
E78-14 (T26) on a /6 '71 Barracuda w/hub caps

6bblgt

1971 Barracuda (BH)
61.0% W11 deluxe wheel covers
*1.6% W12 trim rings w/hub caps
*3.6% W15 wire wheel covers
16.1% W21 rallye wheels
*4.8% W23 road wheels
12.9% STANDARD hub caps

when new, the deluxe wheel covers were everywhere  :smile: on better than 6 out of 10 Barracudas

70 Challenger Lover

Out of curiosity, does the build sheet specify which tire it came with? I took a close up pic with the codes but I can't figure out what they refer to.

The twin stripe tires look fantastic. Never seen them before. Does anyone make them? I'd consider a set whether my car originally came with them or not.

6bblgt

your car is coded for: T22 - 7.35-14 WSW fiberglass-belted (number of stripes UNKNOWN) roughly 185/83/14

Coker Tire shows a G78-14 (~225/78/14) belted reproduction (might be a bit too tall at 27.1" ??), https://www.cokertire.com/tires/bf-goodrich-bias-ply-dual-narrow-whitewall.html

there should be others, I thought Diamond Back had radials but can't find any right now, https://dbtires.com/