Main Menu

Shaker hood Bubble Color? 1970 vs 1971

Started by Cuda Cody, February 21, 2017, 01:16:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

What color is a Shaker Bubble?  Seems like that question gets asked a lot.  There's always exception to the rules, but what did the factory literature say about the colors and when did they change?  @6bblgt  might be able to help with this?  Not looking for exceptions, but more of a general rule.  3 colors were available:

• FE5 Red only on FE5 cars
  • Agent Silver
  • Black

Seems like around late May of 1970 the FE5 Red Shaker Bubbles went away.  Then it seems like it was Black or Argent Silver.  I've seen 6bblgt share this in the past:

1971 (ORIGINAL INTENT)

• 'Cuda w/body color painted grill = BLACK SHAKER
  • 'Cuda w/argent grill = argent SHAKER
  • Challenger w/argent grill = argent SHAKER
  • Challenger R/T w/black grill = BLACK SHAKER

So does that mean before May of 1970 that most of the Shaker Bubbles that were not FE5 Red were Argent Silver?

fc7cuda

Seems there should be a TSB or something regarding the removal of FE5 bubble color in 1970 and as to why.   

Tom

TobiasM

Cody,

found some info about the date when bubble-colour changed...posted it here:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/challenger-shaker-n96-hood-history-notes/231/msg41356#msg41356

May I suggest you to merge this colour-thread of yours into that main-N96-Challenger-shaker-hood thread, so all the info on N96-option can be found at one place/thread?

Cuda Cody

As much as you and I love Challengers, the Cuda fans might not look in the Challenger thread for info on their bubble?   :notsure:  But it will be easy for me to copy and paste the info there too.   :bigthumb:

TobiasM

Yes, you're right, Cody: I forgot that the bubble is the same part on both Challengers and Cudas, while the hood is specific for each of the two car-models.

That N96 shaker-hood-thread is indeed only covering the CHALLENGERs.

Would be great if there was an N96-thread for CUDAs, too, or if that N96-thread was turned into coverage for both models, as I guess the N96-topic is so specific, that owners of either car-model would benefit from finding infos in just one central thread.

Any opinions?

6bblgt

the red 'cuda SHAKER bubbles are a RARITY no-where near the "NORM" - I would guess very early & in conjunction w/front and rear rubber bumpers & "PILOT" or "PROMO" cars ONLY

30 years ago a red hemi'cuda wasn't that rare of a sight - one with a red bubble was

the "LOOK" was cool but I've heard it was too time consuming to get a quality gloss paint finish on the bubble & the idea was cut from production

:alan2cents: IMO some are trying to rewrite history to make a car "MORE SPECIAL"

there are early SHAKER coded Challengers that were delivered w/o a SHAKER hood - who would admit that today  :thinking: it's all about the  :bigmoney:

Cuda Cody

The Warlock A06 October 6th scheduled FE5 rubber bumper had a red bubble. 

Cuda Cody

Most of the cars I have have been owned by several people before me and there's not much that I can confirm by talking to original owners, but what's cool about the FE5 Hemi Cuda Warlock is I bought it off the original owners.  The brother of the guy who passed away that raced it in the 70's and his family that owned it since new confirmed the bubble was red when they purchased the car brand new.  I have their phone number and we can talk to them still if we want.  The window of being able to talk to original owners of these rare cars is closely quickly.

TobiasM

Found this article off the 9/2000 issue of MCG covering a 71 Challenger 340 R/T shaker, VIN JS23H1B390076 and Color: GY8 Gold Leaf Metallic.

This car proofed that even in 71 some argent bubbles instead of black ones made it onto the cars. Pics attached.

cataclysm80

Quote from: TobiasM on July 21, 2017, 01:51:53 AM
Would be great if there was an N96-thread for CUDAs, too, or if that N96-thread was turned into coverage for both models, as I guess the N96-topic is so specific, that owners of either car-model would benefit from finding infos in just one central thread.

Any opinions?

My intention was for the single thread to cover everything for the N96 shaker hood option (both cars), and preferably in a well organized fashion so that people could reference it easily.

This would be easy to find with a search instead of sorting through multiple topics to find which one contains the info you want.
It would be helpful for anyone working on a N96 car or adding N96 to a car.

Eventually, I'd like to see a single informative thread for each option code on the broadcast sheet. 
Some of those are fairly simple, but others like N96 Shaker Hood or H51 Air Conditioning are pretty complex.

TobiasM

I can understand @Cuda Cody 's point to have a separate thread about the bubble, because it is the same part used on all cars and years, while the existing N96-thread covers only CHALLENGERS, if I remember that correctly.

On the other hand I see that the topic "N96" so specific, that in my opinion it would also make a good sense to only have one N96-thread, so everybody could find N96-infos at one central spot.

So far, I appreciate Tav ( @cataclysm80 ), that you, too, would prefere ONE N96-thread for the same reasons.

I agree with you, Tav, that it the N96-option is unfortunately some more complex topic, as two different car-models are covered, so here and there differences between Challenger/Cuda exists within the N96-option.

So my suggestion for a "well organized fashion" as you call it would be

- that we merge to ONE N96-thread
- in every contribution/post it needs to be adressed if the contend applies to Challenger or Cuda or BOTH, unless input/post is selfexplaining.
- the use of "tags" when posting might make organizing easier (e.g. "Challenger only" or "bubble colour" or "trim ring").

What do you guys think?

Cuda Cody

Lots of good info in both threads.  I will try to find time and look at merging both threads.  But it might mess things up as the dates do not line up well and will mix up the flow of the replies.   :thinking: