Main Menu

Challenger Shaker N96 Hood history / Notes

Started by Cuda Cody, January 11, 2017, 12:16:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

RzeroB

Found this thread that Tav participated in over on Moparts. It has a lot of pictures illustrating the differences between the hoods ...

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/327628/all/challenger-hoods.html
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

looks like SHAKER hood Challengers are bringing in the new-bees

WELCOME GUYS!!  :welcome:

1 Wild R/T

Seems like a good place for this....  I only have the tag photo, don't know the owner... Saw it at a Goodguys event, supposedly hadn't been on the road in years....

6bblgt

WOW!!   just a few assigned VINs before this one  :ohyeah:

1 Wild R/T

Unfortunately no... There were allot of people around the car & I couldn't get a good shot, I was at the event with a group  no one else got how cool this car was....  Unrestored, kinda scruffy... Really cool...

6bblgt

reading comprehension fail!  :-[ I edited my post - did it have blue stripes "V6B"? or no stripes "V68"? argent bubble?

1 Wild R/T

Unfortunately V68... V6B would have been a great choice but unfortunately not the case....

fc7cuda

Quote from: ratroaster on September 20, 2017, 04:40:38 PM
Definitely organosol.

:iagree:  I have an original black bubble and, as stated earlier, it's not smooth. Definitely not as textured as the the argent silver ones either.   :alan2cents:

cataclysm80

Quote from: RzeroB on September 20, 2017, 05:00:11 PM
Found this thread that Tav participated in over on Moparts. It has a lot of pictures illustrating the differences between the hoods ...

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/327628/all/challenger-hoods.html

That's back when I first started organizing all the little bits of info I had gathered from all over, into this more comprehensive description, and many people helped iron out the details and edit the text.

It would have been great if we'd continued to do a thorough description like this for every E body option, like Ken and I suggested.
Maybe we can do it here in this forum.
Imagine if you could have all the details for any option at your fingertips.  It would help a lot of people, restorers and people adding factory options to their car.

This also reminds me that when I look up a question on the internet, it's not unusual to find myself from the past providing the answer on a forum somewhere.  :)

cataclysm80

Quote from: RzeroB on September 20, 2017, 04:09:56 PM
Good stuff. Wish we had some pictures or illustrations to point these different features out  :rubeyes:

That's an excellent suggestion.  Here you go.

(Yes, I realize that 1st Version hood pic on top isn't a Shaker Hood.  It just needs to show what a Challenger hood without Crumple Zones looks like, and that was the most suitable pic I had at the time.)

cataclysm80

Here's a few more pics that might help someone out.

71vert340

Last year, I took a picture of my shaker grille for someone and you can see the texture of the paint. I'm sure it's worn by the years but my shaker parts have never been repainted. In 2015, for the first time ever since I bought the car in 1972, I took the shaker apart to clean it. Here's a couple of pics.
Terry

fc7cuda

Quote from: 71vert340 on September 24, 2017, 06:40:45 AM
Last year, I took a picture of my shaker grille for someone and you can see the texture of the paint. I'm sure it's worn by the years but my shaker parts have never been repainted. In 2015, for the first time ever since I bought the car in 1972, I took the shaker apart to clean it. Here's a couple of pics.
Terry

That's cool!!   :yes:

Cuda Cody